- Front Page
- College & Career Readiness
College and Career Readiness
Welcome to Adult Education at Haywood Community College! We are a diverse learning community with a student-centered focus designed to engage, motivate, empower and encourage students toward achieving success in the program of their choice. We are committed to establishing a partnership between institution and student. The cornerstones of this partnership are rooted in shared goal-setting, collaboration and strong communication. As a team, we dream success!
The Adult Education department would like to congratulate Amanda Mann (pictured with Debbie Rowland, Academic & Career Counselor, and Kelly Teague, GED Instructor) for completing her GED diploma and transitioning to continue her education at Haywood Community College in Medical Office Administration.
Meet GED Graduate, Keith Cooley and his learning community - Instructors Ernest Lee, Carla Woody and Joan Rivet. Cooley's story demonstrates how a strong partnership between student, Instructor and Institution drives student success.
Our programs teach basic academic and fundamental skills necessary for tomorrow’s jobs: problem solving, negotiating, organizing, creative thinking, listening, and leadership. Adults who enroll in these courses do so for many reasons, such as completing a HSE or Adult High School Diploma (AHS), learning how to read a job manual, building work skills, helping children do homework, or reviewing academic skills to enter college. We are here to assist students in a partnership to build resiliency for a more sustainable future.
- Adult High School (AHS)
- High School Equivalency (HSE, formerly GED)
- Adult Basic Education (ABE)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Compensatory Education
For more information about learning opportunities in Adult Education or to speak with Patricia Smith, Coordinator of Adult Education, please contact our Administrative Office at (828) 627-4648. We invite you to visit us in the 300 Building on the Haywood Community College main campus -- Administrative Office Suite, #372.
To speak with a program Recruiter or Specialist, please refer to the options below:
- HSE and Adult High School Recruiter, (828) 565-4182 or Office # 319 HCC Main Campus
- ESL Recruiter, (828) 565-4181 or Office #319 HCC Main Campus
- Compensatory Education Specialist, (828) 565-4183 or Office # 375 HCC Main Campus (inside Administrative Suite #372)
- Adult Basic Skills Specialist, (828) 627-4643 or Office #373 HCC Main Campus (inside Administrative Suite #372)