How old do I have to be to enroll?

You must be at least 16 years of age to enroll in our program.

We are a diverse learning community. Historically, our students range in age from 16 to 73 years old.

I am under the age of 18 years, can I still enroll?

Applicants between the ages of 16 and 17 years of age may be admitted to College & Career Readiness Programs provided:

  • The applicant is supported by a notarized petition of the applicant's parent, legal guardian, or other person or agency having legal custody and control. The petition must certify the place of residence and date of birth of the applicant, the parental or other appropriate legal relationship of the petitioner to the applicant, and the date on which the applicant withdrew from the public school system.
  • Upon enrolling in College & Career Readiness programs, students agree to adhere to the HCC Student Code of Conduct.

For more information about required documentation, or to get a Minor Petition Form, please contact our Administrative Office by calling (828) 627-4648.

Do I have to pay for my classes?

There are no tuition costs for College & Career Readiness programs or courses, but fees may apply in addition to testing costs for certain programs of study.

How do I get started?

Call our Administrative Office to register for an Orientation session, (828) 627-4648.

To speak with a Recruiter or program specialist, please contact:

  • GED or Adult High School Recruiter Office, (828) 565-4182
  • ESL Recruiter Office, (828) 565-4181
  • Compensatory Education Specialist, (828) 565-4183
  • Adult Basic Skills, (828) 627-4643

What do I need to bring to Orientation?

Each program within College & Career Readiness has specific enrollment and document requirements for Orientation and registration sessions. Please contact our Administrative Office at (828) 627-4648 regarding specific program information.

What do GED Orientation and Test Candidates need to bring?

For GED Orientation and Testing sessions, candidates are required to bring a current, valid picture ID and proof of social security number to each session.

The picture ID must be issued by a government agency and have candidates name, date of birth, picture and expiration date, such as:

  • North Carolina Driver's License
  • North Caroline ID card (issued by the DMV)
  • Passport
  • Military ID

Proof of social security number must show name and entire social security number (not just last four digits), such as:

  • Social Security Card
  • Tax Return
  • W-2 form

Are there rules?

We want every student to feel honored and respected while studying with us. To support this environment, students agree to adhere to the HCC Student Code of Conduct. These agreements are discussed and signed at Orientation. A copy will be made available to students upon request.