Basic Law Enforcement Training
This course is designed to equip the student with the basic skills, knowledge and ability to function as an inexperienced law enforcement officer in the State of North Carolina. This class is a pre-requisite for law enforcement officer certification in this State. The course is composed of blocks of instruction with a State specified minimum number of hours set for each of the blocks. The total numbers of course hours required for this certification are set by the NC Criminal Justice Commission.
Haywood Community College offers both a day and night BLET course. The day class meets Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. for approximately four (4) months. The night class meets from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. for approximately seven (7) months. Both day and night classes will meet a few weekends to accommodate the appropriate day and night required classes.
To enroll in the Basic Law Enforcement Training Program, the following must be submitted to the School Director at least two (2) weeks prior to the start date of the appropriate class:
- Haywood Community College Basic Law Enforcement Training Application
Letter of Sponsorship from a North Carolina law enforcement agency which must include:
- Written on department letterhead
- Background check has been completed on applicant
- Individual is appropriate for certification in law enforcement
- Signed by Chief or Sheriff
**NOTE: The sponsorship may be revoked by the Sponsoring Agency at any time due to the Cadet’s behavior or at the Agency’s discretion. If a sponsorship is revoked, the Cadet will be dismissed from the program.
- Completed F-3Personal History Statement (Criminal Justice Training and Standards)
- Completed physical examination with drug screen – All medical forms are provided in the Application packet. They must be completed in full and signed by physician and applicant.
- Notarized criminal history check of everywhere the applicant has lived since sixteen (16) years of age.
- Certified copy of North Carolina driving history – obtained from the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.
Copies of the following documents:
- Copy of valid NC driver’s license
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of high school diploma/GED
- College and/or University transcripts
- Military discharge papers (if applicable)
All applicants must take a read exam thru the Adult Education Department. You must score at least tenth (10th) grade level.
Cadets admitted to the Program will purchase:
- Training Academy Uniforms:
1. BLET Shirt – available in College bookstore
2. Khaki pant
3. Black boots
4. Physical training attire – including good athletic shoes, gray tee shirt and gray shorts
- North Carolina Basic Law Enforcement Training Manual
Cadets registered to the Program will pay $150.00 student fee and purchase student insurance at a cost of $1.25.
Application packets which include the program application, medical forms and checklist of items to be returned can be obtained from the School Director.
The next delivery of the Basic Law Enforcement Training will be a day class that will begin with a mandatory orientation on May 17, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. Classes will begin on June 03, 2013. This class will meet Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. for approximately four (4) months. Seating is limited.
A night BLET class will be offered in the fall of 2013. The night class will meet for approximately seven (7) months and meet Monday – Friday, including a few weekends.
2013 Law Enforcement Officer In-Service Training
Public Safety Training Classes
04/15 – Tactical CQB Pistol – 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. WPD Range
04/29 – 05/03 – Crisis Intervention Team Training – 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Haywood Community College Room 1510
05/06 – Tactical CQB Pistol – 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. WPD Range
For additional information, please contact Dee Parton (828) 627-4548 or email@example.com