Are online courses right for me?
Online courses often require more time than conventional face-to-face courses. In addition to self-motivation, good time management skills, and self-discipline, they also require a high comfort level with computers and technology.
We recommend you take the quiz below before you register to see if the online
learning environment is right for you. Checking all the boxes is a good start.
- I have a computer and high speed internet connection at home.
- I have read the Recommended hardware and software specifications needed for taking online courses and my computer meets the requirements. I have downloaded the Mozilla Firefox browser and will use it for my online courses.
- I am prepared to download or purchase the tools and software required for my online courses. I have checked the HCC bookstore listing for the required textbooks and materials.
- I have Microsoft Office or a similar suite of programs which includes a word processor.
(Please note: Some courses may require specific products, programs, or applications.)
- I know how to save, locate, and organize files on my computer.
- I am comfortable with the tasks of attaching, uploading, and downloading electronic files.
- I know how to check my computer or browser settings for playing various types of media content should my course require video and audio play.
- I am prepared to spend three to four hours online for every 1-credit hour for each online course.
(For example, a 3-credit hour course will require a minimum of 9-12 hours per week.)
- I am able to learn and understand material (textbooks, articles, websites) by reading or viewing it on my own.
- I am self-motivated and can set schedules for myself.
- I am willing to ask an instructor for help when I have trouble understanding a topic and need clarification.
If you checked all the boxes, online courses might be a good option for you and your educational plan. If you determine you would be more successful in a course that meets in a fully face-to-face environment, please speak with your advisor about registering for those courses only.
* Students with a documented disability are strongly encouraged to contact the disability counselor at 828.627.4504 prior to registering for any online courses.