Part-time Communications Instructor
HCC Applications are available upon request. A resume may be attached, but is not a substitute for an official application. Unofficial transcripts will be acceptable for application purposes.
Haywood Community College is an Affirmative/Equal Opportunity College.
Arts and General Education
Program Manager, English and Humanities
Primarily instruction and public service and those forms of research which promote and enhance the college’s commitment to excellence in instruction and which supports the current needs of the students and faculty; advising students; maintaining office hours; assisting with registration; serving on College committees; developing curriculum; maintaining professional competence; and participating in professional development activities. Faculty members are responsible to a department/division chair or team facilitator, sometimes a coordinator. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of leader, teacher, adviser and facilitator of learning.
• Maintains annually updated course syllabi and provide each student with a written statement of course requirements at the beginning of the semester including texts, course content and competencies and evaluation.
• Prepares course materials; use appropriate teaching techniques including delivering lectures, leading discussions and conducting laboratory demonstrations; and perform other activities, which are related to and meet the requirements of the courses.
• Conducts evaluations of student performance and assign grades on the basis of such evaluations.
• Maintains records of student attendance and grades according to college and state policy and procedure.
• Maintains posted office hours as required by College policy and procedure and be available for student conferences and tutoring.
• Responsible for the development and revision of course content, textbook/equipment selection, instructional materials and teaching assignments/scheduling.
• Responsible for administering student surveys in classes as prescribed by College procedure and discussing results with department chair.
• Participates in the development and implementation of articulation programs and agreements and promote student participation in such programs.
• Provides students with academic and career advisement and assistance in transferability as appropriate.
• Works with students and employers in occupational settings, on-the-job training, practicums, internships and similar work-related situations as needed.
• Maintains professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research in discipline and through involvement in professional organizations.
• Donates academic expertise in the local, state or national community when appropriate to fulfill the community relations goals of the College.
• Serves on faculty, college, and Community College System of North Carolina committees as appropriate.
• Supports and encourages college-sponsored activities.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
Masters degree with 18 graduate hours in Communication or related subject
Master’s degree in Communication or related subject area. Teaching experience at the post-secondary level. Familiarity Moodle or other learning management systems. Available to teach evening sections if needed.
$29 - $31 hr
Proposed Hiring Date:
August 18, 2014
July 22, 2014 - 4:00pm
Position until filled, applications reviewed upon receipt; pending budget approval.