Enrollment Procedures

Online registration is available for current or continuing students by logging into WebAdvisor.

Diploma- & Associate Degree-Seeking Students

Diploma and Associate Degree Programs (Degree-seeking Curriculum Students)

  • Submit a completed application for enrollment form, written or on-line, to the Enrollment Management Office. The on-line application for enrollment is available at www.haywood.edu.
  • Send an official high school transcript or official GED scores from a regionally accredited institution to the Enrollment Management Office.
  • Current applicants who are high school seniors should submit a transcript showing work through the end of the first semester of the senior year. A final official transcript must then be submitted upon high school graduation and before enrollment to be fully accepted.
  • Applicants graduating from a homeschool or private high school must provide transcripts that include the date the diploma was awarded, the type of diploma, and have the official seal of the school. The homeschool or private school must be registered with the state in which it resides at the time of the applicant’s graduation date.
  • If the original copy is written in a language other than English, then a certified copy of an English translation and evaluation is required. The College does not provide translation services for these applicants; therefore, applicants may contact the World Education Services (International Academic Credential Evaluation) website at www.wes.org for information.
  • Online high schools must be accredited by a recognized accrediting agency at the time of the applicant’s graduation date.  A list of recognized accrediting agencies may be found on the following websites - http://www.chea.org/ or http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/
  • Complete the Haywood Community College placement test (Accuplacer) to determine if developmental courses are required before enrollment into college level math or English. The Accuplacer Test is administered by the College and is a Computerized Placement Test (CPT). (See Testing section for more details). If you place into developmental English or math, these courses should be completed during the first two semesters of enrollment if at all possible. If a student places below the “cut score” on a placement test in reading, he/she must complete training in the College’s Basic Skills Program before entering a diploma or an associate degree program.

OR Placement testing requirements may be waived in ONE of the following ways:

  • Test scores may be transferred from other accredited colleges: Accuplacer, Compass and Asset (See Testing section for more details),
  • Reflect scores of 500 or higher on each section (Critical Reading and Math) of the SAT,
  • Reflect scores 18 or higher on Writing/English, 21 or higher on Reading, and 22 or higher on Mathematics of the ACT.
  • Submit official transcripts reflecting successful completion of college-level English or mathematics/algebra credits with a grade of “C” or better on each.

Additional Enrollment Requirements:

  • A pre-requisite placement test is required before enrollment in BIO 163, BIO 168, and CHM 151.
  • A departmental interview is required for the following programs: Professional Crafts-Clay, Fiber, Jewelry, and Wood.
  • Admission into the Nursing program is based on a competitive process. Students may not enroll in NUR courses until they are accepted into the Nursing program. Additional admission requirements for Nursing applicants are listed in the Academic Program of Study.

Certificate-Seeking Students

Submit a completed Application for Enrollment form, written or on-line, to the Enrollment Management Office. The on-line application for enrollment is available at www.haywood.edu.

Students who change from certificate programs to diploma or associate degree programs must complete the additional requirements for admission to those programs (listed under admission requirements for diploma and associate degree programs).

Non-Degree-Seeking Students

  • Submit a completed Application for Enrollment form, written or on-line to the Enrollment Management Office. The on-line application for enrollment is available at www.haywood.edu.
  • Placement testing or a waiver is required before enrolling in English or math courses.
  • Prerequisites must be met before enrolling in those courses requiring pre-requisites.
  • If transfer credits or placement scores will be used to waive the HCC placement test or a pre-requisite, official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution must be received before registering for the course.

Non-degree seeking students are those students who enroll in one or more courses but do not desire to graduate from one of the established curricula. The student may register for any course which is open to all students and does not require a prerequisite. However, if you plan to register for a course that requires a prerequisite course, you must submit an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution showing completion of this requirement with a grade of “C” or better prior to registering. An applicant who plans to enroll in mathematics and/or English courses must satisfactorily complete the College placement test requirement as for degree or diploma programs. Please check our current catalog to review the prerequisite(s). Students may not register for courses in a program that has a waiting list or restricted admission (such as nursing).

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans benefits nor are they permitted to earn any degree, diploma, or certificate awarded by the college. Students seeking to change to a degree-seeking status must complete a Change of Curriculum form for enrollment and follow the admission procedure for the diploma, associate degree, or certificate.

Transfer Credit

Students seeking transfer credit must complete Haywood Community College’s general admissions requirements, and submit official transcripts to the Enrollment Management Office. Post-secondary institutions must be regionally accredited and transcript(s) must bear the official seal of the institution. Academic department chairs must approve all courses transferred and send approval to the Director of Enrollment Management prior to the end of the first semester of enrollment.

Applicants to degree, diploma, or certificate programs who want credit for course work completed at other postsecondary institutions are responsible for having an official transcript from each institution mailed directly to the Enrollment Management Office. Courses with a grade of “C” or higher may be accepted if they are applicable to the program selected at Haywood Community College and were earned at an accredited college, university, community college, or technical institute. Any course with a grade of less than a “C” is not transferable.

Credit transferred to Haywood Community College from another institution will be recognized as hours toward the appropriate degree, diploma, or certificate but will not be calculated toward the cumulative grade point average (GPA) for that program. Every attempt will be made to evaluate transcripts for transfer credit prior to registration. Evaluation will be completed no later than the end of the first semester of enrollment following acceptance into the program of study.

It is the intent of the College that entering students will be successful. Time limitations may restrict the acceptance of credits from both internal and external sources if it is determined that course material or content is outdated. The Department Chair over the program of study in which the course resides will make the decision regarding the acceptance of credit for such courses.

Department chairs are responsible for approving transfer credit within the major. Transcript evaluation will be completed by Enrollment Management staff by the end of the first semester of enrollment.

Transfer credit from other regionally accredited postsecondary institutions pertaining to related and general education coursework will be approved by the Arts and General Education Department Chair.

All degree-seeking students must complete either ACA 111, 115, or 122 (depending on individual program requirements) by the end of their second semester of attendance at HCC. Students with an earned 2-year degree, or higher, will be exempt from ACA 111 or 115. Students, without an earned 2-year degree or higher, with more than 29 hours of approved transfer credit from an outside institution will be exempt from taking ACA 111 or ACA 122.

CLEP, Advanced Placement, and Armed Forces Training

The College will accept or transfer appropriate credits earned through credit by examination, advanced placement, CLEP, armed forces service schools, and college-level courses completed prior to graduation from high school. The chairperson of the department in which the courses are taught determines applicable credit.

The College gives credit for courses in which College Entrance Examination Board Advanced Placement Examinations have been given and in which appropriate levels of competence have been demonstrated. If a student has taken Advanced Placement courses in high school and the respective examination and receives a grade of three (3) or higher on the exam, he/she can receive college credit. The results of the Advanced Placement Examination should be sent to the Enrollment Management Office by the Advanced Placement Program. For example, a score of at least 3 on the biology AP exam would entitle the student to receive 4 semester hours credit for BIO 111 (General Biology I).

Provisional Admission

An applicant may be provisionally accepted into the college and permitted to register prior to completion of all admissions requirements. Students who are admitted on a provisional basis must complete all admission requirements within the first semester of attendance. Students who receive provisional acceptance do not qualify for veteran’s benefits or financial aid.

Re-enrollment of Curriculum Students

Returning students who are eligible for readmission and who have not been enrolled at HCC within the last 12 months must submit a new Application for Enrollment form and update residency classification if needed prior to registration. You may obtain the Application for Enrollment form from Student Services in the Student Center or on-line at www.haywood.edu. The student is required to meet the curriculum requirements in effect at the time of readmission.

Students who have been placed on academic or disciplinary suspension must fulfill the terms of their suspension before being considered for readmission. Students on disciplinary suspension must also submit a letter to the Vice President of Student and Workforce Development requesting readmission.

The College reserves the right to deny readmission to a former student, including a student who has unsettled financial obligations at the college or who has not complied with previous disciplinary requirements. All of the student’s debts to the College must be paid in full before registering for courses.

Change of Major

Currently enrolled students desiring to change their major should first contact their faculty advisor. Formal change must be cleared through the Director of Enrollment Management by completing a Change of Curriculum Application. In addition, veterans must also be approved for change through the Veteran’s Office in Student Services and/or the Veteran’s Administration. A new academic advisor will be assigned for the new major.


If transcripts cannot be obtained due to extenuating circumstances (loss by fire, school no longer exists, etc.) then documentation of all efforts made by the student and a letter of explanation regarding the circumstances must be submitted to the Director of Enrollment Management. Faxed copies of transcripts are not considered to be the official transcripts. Transcripts written in a language other than English must be translated. A certified copy of the English translation and evaluation should be submitted with the transcript. The College does not provide translation services. Applicants may contact the World Education Services (International Academic Credential Evaluation) website at www.wes.org for information.

This page was last modified on Thursday, October 23, 2014 at 05:23 PM