HCC to Participate in John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen's Meet at Forest Festival Day
- Location: Cradle of Forestry
Dates and times:
Saturday, October 03, 2009
From 3:45 AM to 4:00 PM
- Saturday, October 03, 2009
- This event has passed.
Share This Event!
Last updated: Thursday, Sep 24, 2009 at 06:30 AM Posted: Tuesday, Sep 22, 2009 at 09:53 AM
The Haywood Community College Woodsmen’s Team will compete in the 2009 John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet and Forest Festival Day held at the Cradle of Forestry on Saturday, October 3rd. The team will compete against Montgomery Community College, North Carolina State University, and Penn State Mont Alto.
Forest Festival Day is an annual event for the whole family that celebrates our forests and forest heritage. More than 50 traditional craftsmen, exhibitors, and entertainers will be on hand to share their knowledge and skills of living and working in the forest. The day will include traditional mountain music, crafters and artists, and forestry and fly fishing demonstrations, as well as the Woodsmen’s Meet.
Events start at 9 a.m. and end at 6:30 p.m. The Cradle of Forestry is located in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. The cost is $6 for adults and $3 for youth. For more information, please call the Cradle of Forestry at (828) 877-3130.
Order of Events
Saturday, October 3
- 6:30 – 7:30 a.m. Breakfast (Pink Beds Campground)
- 7:45 a.m. U.S. Forest Service & Haywood Community College Welcome (Visitor Center Auditorium)
- 7:55 – 9:00 a.m. Quiz Bowl (Visitor Center Auditorium)
- 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. Dendrology (Concurrent with Archery)
- 9:00 – 10:00 a.m. Archery (Concurrent with Dendrology)
- 10:00 – 11:00 a.m. Team Log Roll
- 11:00 – 4:30 p.m. Orienteering (Contest conducted most of the day)
- 11:00–11:30 a.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Female)
- 11:30–12:00 p.m. Water Boil
- 12:00 – 12:30 p.m. Pulpwood Toss for Accuracy
- 12:30 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch (hotdog bagged lunch provided)
- 1:15 – 2:00 p.m. Axe Throw (Concurrent with Pole Fell)
- 1:15 – 2:00 p.m. Pole Fell (Concurrent with Axe Throw)
- 2:00 – 2:30 p.m. Pole Climb
- 2:30 – 3:30 p.m. Cross Cut Saw Events
- 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. Single Buck
- 4:00 – 4:30 p.m. Bolt Split
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Chain Saw Events
- 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. Standing Block Chop
- 6:00 – 6:20 p.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Male)
- 6:20 – 6:30 p.m. Competition Field Clean Up (ALL Teams Required)
- 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. BBQ Dinner/Awards Ceremony (Participants & Guests)
(Perkins Room, Schenck Education Center)
Every possible effort will be made to stay on schedule. If any event should finish early, the next event will immediately follow.