HCC to Participate in John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet at Forest Festival Day
Dates and times:
Saturday, October 01, 2011
From 5:00 AM to 2:30 PM
- Saturday, October 01, 2011
- This event has passed.
Share This Event!
Last updated: Wednesday, Sep 14, 2011 at 08:49 AM Posted: Monday, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM
The Haywood Community College Woodsmen’s Team will compete in the 2011 John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet and Forest Festival Day held at the Cradle of Forestry on Saturday, October 1. The team will compete against Montgomery Community College, North Carolina State University, Penn State Mont Alto, and Virginia Tech.
Forest Festival Day is an annual event for the whole family that celebrates our forests and forest heritage. More than 50 traditional craftsmen, exhibitors, and entertainers will be on hand to share their knowledge and skills of living and working in the forest. The day will include traditional mountain music, crafters and artists, and forestry and fly fishing demonstrations, as well as the Woodsmen’s Meet.
Events start at 9 a.m. and end at 6:30 p.m. The Cradle of Forestry is located in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. The cost is $6 for adults and $3 for youth. For more information, please call the Cradle of Forestry at (828) 877-3130.
- 7:45 a.m. U.S. Forest Service & Haywood Community College Welcome (Visitor Center Auditorium)
- 7:55 - 9:00 a.m. Quiz Bowl (Visitor Center Auditorium)
- 9:00 - 10:00 a.m. Concurrent Events: Dendrology and Archery
- 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. Team Log Roll
- 11:00 - 4:30 p.m. Orienteering (Contest conducted most of the day)
- 11:00 - 11:30 a.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Female)
- 11:30 - 12:00 p.m. Water Boil
- Alumni Recognition/Announcements
- 12:00 - 12:30 p.m. Pulpwood Toss for Accuracy
- 1:15 - 2:00 p.m. Concurrent Events: Axe Throw and Pole Fell
- 2:00 - 2:30 p.m. Pole Climb
- 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Cross Cut Saw Events
- 3:30 - 4:00 p.m. Single Buck
- 4:00 - 4:30 p.m. Bolt Split
- 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. Chain Saw Events
- 5:30 - 6:00 p.m. Standing Block Chop
- 6:00 - 6:20 p.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Male)
Every possible effort will be made to stay on schedule. If any event should finish early, the next event will immediately follow.