HCC to Participate in John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet at Forest Festival Day
- Location: Cradle of Forestry
Dates and times:
Saturday, October 06, 2012
From 9:00 AM to 6:30 PM
- Saturday, October 06, 2012
- This event has passed.
Share This Event!
Last updated: Wednesday, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:18 AM
The Haywood Community College Woodsmen’s Team will compete in the 2012 John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet and Forest Festival Day held at the Cradle of Forestry on Saturday, October 6. The team will compete against Montgomery Community College, North Carolina State University, Penn State Mont Alto, Virginia Tech, and Warren Wilson College.
Forest Festival Day is an annual event for the whole family where more than 80 traditional craftsmen, exhibitors, forestry students, and entertainers gather at the Cradle of Forestry to celebrate our forests and forest heritage. Highlights include wood carvers, weavers, a blacksmith, and the John G. Palmer Intercollegiate Woodsmen’s Meet.
Events start at 9 a.m. and end at 6:30 p.m. The Cradle of Forestry is located in the Pisgah National Forest near Brevard. The cost is $6 for ages 16 and up and $3 for youth. For more information, please call the Cradle of Forestry at (828) 877-3130.
7:45 a.m. U.S. Forest Service & Haywood Community College Welcome (Visitor Center Auditorium)
7:55 - 9:00 a.m. Quiz Bowl (Visitor Center Auditorium)
- 9:00– 10:00 a.m. Dendrology (Concurrent with Archery)
- 9:00- 10:00 a.m. Archery (Concurrent with Dendrology)
- 10:00–11:00 a.m. Team Log Roll
- 11:00- 4:30 p.m. Orienteering (Contest conducted most of the day)
- 11:00–11:30 a.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Female)
- 11:30–12:00 p.m. Water Boil
- 12:00-12:30 p.m. Pulpwood Toss for Accuracy
- 12:30– 1:15 p.m. LUNCH BREAK
- 1:15 – 2:00 p.m. Axe Throw (Concurrent with Pole Fell)
- 1:15 - 2:00 p.m. Pole Fell (Concurrent with Axe Throw)
- 2:00 - 2:30 p.m. Pole Climb
- 2:30 - 3:30 p.m. Cross Cut Saw Events
- 3:30 – 4:00 p.m. Single Buck
- 4:00 – 4:30 p.m. Bolt Split
- 4:30 – 5:30 p.m. Chain Saw Events
- 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. Standing Block Chop
- 6:00 - 6:20 p.m. Horizontal Speed Chop (Male)
- 6:20 – 6:30 p.m. Competition Field Clean Up (ALL Teams Required)
- 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. BBQ Dinner/Awards Ceremony (Participants & Guests)
(Perkins Room, Schenck Education Center)
Every possible effort will be made to stay on schedule.
If any event should finish early, the next event will immediately follow . . .