Cooperative Education at HCC is a structured educational program designed to help students clarify, test and validate career goals through work experience. Our purpose is successfully placing students with employers to encourage professional growth and allow development of job skills directly related to and coordinated with their chosen field of study.
- Students perform tasks related to their academic or career goals
- Students gain knowledge and experience from skilled mentors
- Students receive academic credit for their work experience
- Students provide definable benefit's to employers
- Students improve employability skills, i.e. in resume writing, job interviews, personal appearance.
- Ability to integrate classroom theory with workplace practice
- Technical knowledge through use of state-of-the-art equipment
- Clarity about academic goals
- Academic motivation
- Workplace competencies
- Understanding of workplace culture
- Responsible work habits
- Clarity about career goals
- Professional network
- After graduation employment opportunities
- Lifelong learning skillsJob readiness
- Determination of strengths & weaknesses
- Earnings to defray college expenses
Co-Op Enrollment Procedures
- Check your program of study for COE course options and speak with your advisor or the Co-Op Coordinator to register.
- You must have a GPA of 2.0 or better and at least 9 core curriculum credit hours with HCC.
- Complete a Co-Op application. Submit by Email, FAX or mail.
- Provide a copy of your Resume and a Job description from the Co-Op Employer submitted by Email, FAX or Mail.
- Distance learning students must complete a HOP assignment on the first day of class through Moodle.
- Stay in contact by Phone or Email with your Co-Op Coordinator and Instructor.
- Prepare for an on-site visit by appointment from your Co-Op Coordinator or Instructor during your Co-Op work experience.
- Experiential Learning Coordinator: Emma Dechant
- Location: Room 232, 200 Building
- Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Telephone: (828) 627.3613, (toll free in NC 1-866-GO-TO-HCC)
- Address: 185 Freedlander Drive, Clyde, NC 28721
- Email: email@example.com