Financial Aid Programs

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant program is a federal program that provides funding for undergraduate students. Eligibility is based on financial need. Submission of the FAFSA is required for consideration.

Pell Grant Application Online

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program is a federal program that provides money to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range from $100.00 to $400.00 per academic year at HCC and are awarded based upon exceptional financial need criteria and the order in which Student Aid Reports are received that meet these criteria.

North Carolina Community Grant (NCCG)

Eligibility: Must be a North Carolina resident enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester in curriculum programs. Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant. Students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be considered for this grant based on estimated family contribution as determined on the Student Aid Report. The amount per grant will vary according to financial need.

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS)

The NCELS program is available to legal residents of North Carolina who are enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester in a curriculum program; classified as an undergraduate in matriculated status in a degree, certificate, or diploma program at an eligible North Carolina Institution. Students are required to submit the FAFSA to be considered for this grant.


Through the generosity of individuals, businesses, and civic organizations, scholarships are available to HCC students. These scholarships are established with gifts from donors to the HCC Foundation and are either endowed or annually funded. Criteria for awarding the scholarships are specified by the donors in conjunction with the college. Endowed scholarships are generated through the investment of permanently-held principals so that only the income from the principal is used for scholarship awards. This enables the scholarship to exist in perpetuity. Annually funded scholarships are those for which all funds are dispersed as scholarships rather than as long-term investments.

Most institutional scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need and scholastic achievement. A student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for all scholarships awarded by HCC. To apply, students must complete the online scholarship application which is available at All students are encouraged to apply. Scholarship applications have varies due dates. Please see for more information. Students may continue to apply for scholarships as they become available. Students need apply only once per academic year to be considered for all scholarships for which they meet the stated criteria. Scholarships are subject to change without notice.

Scholarships may be obtained from outside sources, and we have provided information below for referencing these sources.


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a program of financial assistance for the education and training of veterans, reservists, and their dependents who meet the federal criteria. The State Approving Agency approves the curriculum programs for VA benefits.

Haywood Community College is approved for the following VA Educational Programs:

  1.  Post 9/11 G.I.Bill (Chapter 33)
  2. Montgomery G.I.Bill (Chapter 30)
  3. Chapter 1606 for Reservists
  4. Chapter 1607 (REAP)
  5. VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)    
  6. Chapter 35 - Dependents of qualified veterans                     

The application for VA educational benefits is available on line at  After submitting the application online the veteran will be mailed a certificate of eligibility from the VA.  Please bring this letter to the VA Certifying Official.  Applicants may be required to submit a copy of DD214 (discharge papers) or NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility).

An official high school/GED transcript, and official transcript(s) from previously attended colleges or military education programs are required. These transcripts must be on file and evaluated before the veteran can be certified for veteran’s benefits.

Veterans and their dependents are admitted to HCC under the same admission requirements as other students. Veteran students are expected to attend classes regularly. They must pursue the exact curriculum listed and approved in the HCC catalog, and maintain satisfactory academic progress (2.0 Cumulative GPA), attendance, and conduct to maintain eligibility for payments. VA educational benefits are not paid for any grades other than A, B, C, D, F, or P.

Payments for educational benefits are based on a student’s classification according to his/her credit hours per semester.

Other Agencies and Resources

In addition to applying for financial aid through HCC, it is suggested that students make themselves aware of programs through the Veterans Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation, N.C. Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the N.C. Employment Security Commission. Referral information is available through the Financial Aid Office.

For information on local scholarships and loans it is suggested that students contact their high school guidance counselors.

This page was last modified on Friday, August 22, 2014 at 10:51 AM