Transferring to Four Year University

After completing an Associate’s Degree at Haywood Community College, many students transfer to a four year institution to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in their chosen field of study.

How Do I Transfer?

To begin the transfer process, talk to a counselor at HCC as soon at you start taking classes. Next, research different colleges or universities in which you may be interested. Be sure that the schools offer the major in which you are interested. Talk to a counselor in the Admissions/Counseling Office of the schools to which you wish to transfer. Find out their process and their requirements. No two schools will be identical. Keep a record of each school’s requirements. Schedule a visit to the colleges to see the campuses firsthand. Meet with a financial aid advisor to review financial aid options. Apply to two or three colleges, making sure that you meet their deadlines. You will need official transcripts from your high school and HCC. You can request them from your high school guidance counselor and from HCC’s Student Services.

When Should I Start the Transition?

Students should start the transfer process as soon as they enter HCC. Talk to your academic advisor about your plans to transfer to a university. Your chosen degree program at HCC will determine what kind of articulation agreement may apply to your situation when you transfer.  Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degrees are covered by the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.  Other degree programs may be covered by an existing bilateral articulation agreement.  More information about both the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement and bilateral articulation agreements is provided below.

Finding the Right School

When researching schools, consider the following:

  • degrees programs and majors
  • admission requirements
  • total costs
  • financial aid
  • transfer of credits
  • location
  • size of campus
  • housing options
  • application deadlines
  • student life
  • extracurricular activities

Students can research NC colleges and universities online at Click on “Plan for College”

Students can apply to colleges and universities in North Carolina at Click on “Apply to College”

Virtual College Fair Opportunities

HCC is partnering with institutions to promote virtual college transfer sessions. For additional information on admissions, academics, transfer credits, online programs, and more, please visit the following webinar link for the corresponding college.

Appalachian State University Virtual Open House ​- Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm 

Register at: 

Western Carolina University Virtual Sessions: Tuesday’s and Thursday’s during spring semester

Register at: 

UNC Charlotte Day – Tuesday, March 9, 2021 @ 4:00 pm

Register at:​ 


Haywood Community College CCP Virtual Open House opportunities:

Virtual CCP Workforce Continuing Education Pathways Open House:

Date: February 23rd

Time: 6:00pm


Meeting ID: 98813459513

Passcode: 737625


Virtual CCP College Transfer Pathways Open House:

Date: February 25th

Time: 6:00pm


Meeting ID: 94580569087

Passcode: 338028


Virtual CCP Career and Technical Education Pathways Open House:

Date: March 2nd

Time: 6:00pm


Meeting ID: 96218512851

Passcode: 100113

Assistance with Transfer to a University

HCC personnel are available to assist you with the process of transferring to a university.

Services Provided:

  • Individualized assistance with navigating your chosen university’s transfer process
  • Assistance with determining status as a transfer student according to rules of senior institution
  • Help with application deadlines and timelines
  • Assistance with determining what items (e.g. transcripts) must be submitted for admission
  • Proofreading of college application essays (if required)
  • Assistance with completion of university application
  • Help with requesting application fee waivers (if eligible)
  • Assistance with post-admissions processes (e.g. meeting requirements of tuition deposit, registration for orientation, housing reservations, and submission of immunization records)
  • Direction to any relevant transfer student support program at your chosen university
  • Assistance with applying to specific university programs as necessary
  • Assistance with appeal of transfer credit, if necessary


For individualized assistance with the transfer process, contact Matt Heimburg to schedule an appointment.

Student Services Matt Heimburg
Enrollment Management Dean: Arts, Sciences & Natural Resources
Phone: 828.627.4500; Fax: 828.627.4513 Phone: 828.627.4579
Email: Email:

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement between the North Carolina Community College System and the 16 universities in the University of North Carolina System. Twenty-four private colleges and universities also endorse the CAA. For community college graduates with an Associate in Arts (AA) degree or an Associate in Science (AS) degree, the CAA ensures that up to 60 community college credits transfer to the participating colleges and universities.

Associate in Arts

This degree program provides a general education for students who wish to continue their studies at a four-year institution. It promotes a comprehensive view of the liberal arts with an appropriate balance of knowledge in the humanities, fine arts, mathematics, natural sciences, and social and behavioral sciences. Graduates may major in a variety of fields, may choose to begin a career in business or industry, or may undertake further specialized training.

Associate in Science

This degree program provides a concentration in mathematics and physical and life sciences for university curricula requiring such a background. While this program emphasizes critical analysis and the judgmental skills inherent in the disciplines of science and mathematics, the curriculum also promotes an understanding and appreciation of the arts and humanities.

Students may view the courses approved for transfer in the HCC Catalog.

Baccalaureate Degree Plans

The public universities in the University of North Carolina System have developed a number of baccalaureate degree plans that map discipline-specific programs of study.  These plans include courses completed as part of an AA or AS degree at a community college and show how they articulate with the baccalaureate degree requirements at the individual universities.  These plans as well as a lot of additional information about transferring to a university in the UNC System can be found at the following site:


RN to BSN Programs

Check the web sites below to find an RN-to-BSN or RN-to-MSN program that meets your needs. All of these programs are nationally accredited by the National League for Nursing and/or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Most of these programs are designed to accommodate RNs who are currently working. Check their web sites to find detailed information regarding scheduling, costs, academic requirements, online or on-campus options, and more.

For a complete list of RN to BSN programs in North Carolina, go to Click on “Plan for a Career”, "Career Focus", “Nursing Careers,” and “RN to BSN.”

RN-to-BSN Program Updates

The North Carolina Board of Nursing keeps the most current roster of RN-to-BSN programs. To see if additional programs have recently become available, go to Or you can call the NC Board of Nursing at (919) 782-3211. All of these programs are nationally accredited. For proper advisement, it is important that you seek advice from the RN-BSN/ RN-MSN coordinator at the college you wish to attend.

Also check for scholarship information. Click on “Pay” and “Scholarships and Grants.”


Haywood Community College is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation.