In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, students must disclose disabilities to the counselor in order for Haywood Community College to provide reasonable accommodations.
- The student discloses the type of disability, the student’s limitations, and the current impact of the disability/medical condition to the counselor by completing the appropriate forms, located below.
- The student provides proof of the disability from a physician, psychologist or other appropriate professional stating the nature of the disability and recommendations for needed accommodations. The documentation must reflect the current impact of the disability. HCC’s staff is not able to diagnose disabilities. The documentation accepted at HCC may not suffice for universities or professional and certification exams.
- The student engages in an interview with the counselor.
- The counselor documents the reasonable accommodations that the college will provide as determined from the student/counselor interview and appropriate documentation. All of the information is collected by the counselor and filed with a copy of the mutually agreed upon accommodations.
- The student reviews the accommodations with each instructor within the first week of each semester.
- The student reviews the accommodations with the counselor prior to or at the beginning of each semester during which the student wishes to receive accommodations.
For more information, contact Angie Uhl-Kalev, Counselor at 828.627.4504 (phone), 828.627.4513 (fax), Office 1532, or email@example.com.
For more information, see the disability handbook below.
Please be aware of the attendance policy located in the HCC Catalog on our Publications page.
Please note that all students regardless of disability must meet the technical standards of a program with or without reasonable accommodations.
Distance Learning students at HCC are required to follow the procedures outlined above.
Effective January 1, 2013
- Form 1 - Procedures for Requesting Accommodations at HCC
- Form 2 - Voluntary Self-Disclosure of Disability
- Form 3 - Accommodation Form for ACCUPLACER
- Form 3A - Accommodation Form for TABE
- Form 4 - Accommodation Form for Classroom
- Form 5 - ADA Checklist
- Form 6 - Success Plan
- Form 7 - Addendum
- Form 8 - Safety Plan for Individuals with Disabilities
- Form 9 - Documentation from Medical Service Provider
- Form 10 - Equipment Agreement
- Form 11 - Software Agreement
- Form 12 - Sign Language Interpreter Service Agreement
- Form 13 - Recommendations for Success
- Form 14 - Denial of Requested Accommodation(s)
- Form 15 - Service Animals Agreement
- Form 16 - Justification of Requested Accommodations
- College Guide for Students with Disabilities
- CareerWorks - Assistance with job search, resumes, interviewing
- Service Dogs
Haywood Community College is committed to equality of educational opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, or sexual orientation.