Haywood Community College uses the Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) placement test to ensure academic readiness of incoming students. For students interested in the Nursing program who may be looking for information on the TEAS exam, click here.
Do I Need to Take the Placement Test?
For Students entering or returning to HCC in Spring and Summer semesters 2020, contact Student Services at (828) 565-4125 to determine if you need to take the placement test.
For students entering Fall 2020 or beyond you DO NOT need a placement test if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You have graduated from a US high school within the past 10 years
- You have completed the GED since 1/1/14 and have a score of 165 or higher on all areas, or taken the HiSET with a score of 15 or higher on all areas and 4 or higher on essay
- You have successfully completed a college level English and mathematics course
- You have taken the ACT or SAT and met the minimum score requirements. Click here for the minimum score requirements
- Completed another eligible placement test within the last 10 years
- Earned appropriate level of developmental course credit within the last 10 years
You will need to provide official documentation of the above criteria in order for the placement test to be waived. If you have questions about whether or not you meet any of the above criteria you can contact Student Services at (828) 627-4500. If you do not meet any of the above criteria you may schedule an appointment to take the test.
How do I Schedule a Placement Test?
Testing must be completed prior to admission to Haywood Community College. You may contact Student Services at (828) 627-4500 to schedule a test. The placement test is offered by appointment only during the following times:
- Mondays at 9:00am and 2:00pm
- Tuesdays at 9:00am and 2:00pm
- Wednesdays at 9:00am and 2:00pm
- Thursdays at 9:00am and 2:00pm
If you are not able to test during these days or times you can contact the testing coordinator at (828) 627-3613 and we will attempt to coordinate a time that works for you. If you are an online student that does not live near campus you can contact the testing coordinator to discuss remote testing options.
Does it Cost Anything to Take the Test?
There is no charge to take the RISE placement test at Haywood Community College. If you are testing remotely at another institution, you will need to check with their testing center to determine if there is a cost.
What is Covered on the Test?
The test consists of two sections: English and Math
The English section consists of two tiers.
- Students who score less than 70 on the first tier will be placed in a transitional English course.
- Students who score 70 or above on the first tier will progress to the second tier.
- Students who score less than 70 on the second tier will be placed into an English corequisite support course along with their college level English gateway course.
- Students who score 70 or above on the second tier may take the college level English gateway course without taking the corequisite support course.
Concepts Covered on the English Test
The math section consists of three tiers.
- Much like the English section, students must score 70 or above to progress to the next tier.
- Students who score less than 70 on the first tier will be placed in a transitional math course.
- Students who score 70 or above on the first tier may be able to take their required college level math course with a corequisite support course or may choose to advance to the second tier.
- Students who score 70 or above on the second tier may qualify to take their gateway level math course without taking a corequisite support course or to take a higher level math course with a corequisite support course. (HCC Success Coaches will assist students in determining which tiers are needed for their individual programs)
- Students who score 70 or above on the second tier may also choose to advance to the third tier.
- Students who score 70 or above on the third tier will qualify to take any gateway math course without taking the corequisite support course.
Concepts Covered on the Math Test
How can I Prepare for the Test?
Tutoring is available to prepare for the placement test in the Career and College Readiness Department (828) 627-4648. Online Placement Test Preparation resources are available through Learning Support Services (828) 627-4696. Below are the official RISE Placement Test Practice Tests:
Can I Receive Testing Accommodations?
Yes. Please contact the Student Wellness office at (828) 627-4504 in advance to discuss accommodations.
What can I Expect on the Day of the Test?
You need to bring a valid picture ID. You also need to be able to access your email account. Pencils, scratch paper, and calculators will be provided by the testing center. External calculators are not permitted. Please allow 3-4 hours for completion of the test, however the test is not timed and will depend on the student’s pace. Each section of the test (English and Math) should be completed in a single sitting. You may choose to take each section on separate days or on the same day. Please report to Student Services at least 10 minutes before your scheduled testing time. Once you are finished testing, someone from the testing center will discuss your results and next steps with you.
What if I am not Happy with my Test Results?
You are permitted to re-test one time during a 10 year period.
Prerequisite Placement Testing for Chemistry