The Distance Learning Office provides instructional support for students, faculty and staff participating in e-learning through online courses, hybrid and web-assisted courses, video-conferencing, virtual classes, professional development, media creation, and course design.
Moodle is the online course delivery system used by HCC. Access your online courses using the Moodle link below. New students registering for the upcoming semester will not show up immediately in Moodle. Check back two weeks prior to the start of the semester to log in and visit the Student Orientation course, which contains a section on Using Moodle. Be advised you will not see your other courses until 8 AM on the first day of instruction. Check your course schedule for start dates. If you need to register, contact your advisor or the department assistant for your program of study. If you still need to enroll at HCC, contact Student Services.
Hours and Contact Information
The Distance Learning Staff is available Monday - Friday 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM during the fall and spring semesters and Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM during summer session. Distance learning email is checked and returned weekend afternoons. (note: The office is closed Fall Break, Spring Break and all-campus holidays.)
For assistance with Moodle and online class-related needs, contact Distance Learning at 828.627.4619 or via email: email@example.com
If you need to register for online classes or enroll in the college, call (828) 627-4500 or (866) GOTOHCC or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For issues with HCC's WebAdvisor, email login, and Office 365, please contact the IT Help Desk at (828) 565-4009 or visit them on campus in the Library.
If you are a student considering taking online courses for the first time, please visit "Are Online Courses Right for Me?" Online learning requires technology proficency and time management skills beyond that of a seated class.
Distance Learning Department Mission
The mission of Distance Learning (DL) at Haywood Community College is to provide high-quality learning opportunities to students in all stages of life through the use of state-of-the-art technology and alternative modes of instruction.
The Distance Learning Department's Goals are to:
- Manage the delivery of distance learning courses for curriculum programs in online and hybrid formats.
- Promote alternative delivery methods (e.g., podcasts) of distance learning courses.
- Provide training to distance learning faculty, both technical and pedagogical.
- Evaluate course quality and ensure compliance with regional accrediting standards.
- Provide help desk assistance to student and faculty in a timely and efficient manner.
- Investigate and recommend instructional technology for use in both distance learning and traditional course settings.
- Investigate and encourage best practices in instruction.
- Work with other institutions in order to share resources (e.g., learning objects).
- Promote the growth of distance learning offerings at HCC, with the eventual goal being that all applicable programs are offered online or in a hybrid-online combination.
- Participate in professional development opportunities related to teaching and learning.
Cheryl FulghumCoordinatorEmail: email@example.comPhone number: 565-4280Office/building: 209, Freedlander Learning Center
Ken HippsInstructional Technology SpecialistEmail: firstname.lastname@example.orgPhone number: 565-4082Office/building: 242, Freedlander Learning Center
Marc LehmannInstructional Technology SpecialistEmail: email@example.comPhone number: 565-4025Office/building: 210, Freedlander Learning Center