How do I register for classes?

Registration procedures depend on whether or not you are currently enrolled at HCC. Visit theEnrollment Management webpage for details.

How do I get my username and password?

Your HCC username is assigned upon enrollment. You should receive this in the mail. Generally, usernames are your first initial, middle initial, and last name; however, this is not always the case. You can look up your username in WebAdvisor. Your password is your six-digit birthdate.

How do I log in to my online courses?

Curriculum online courses can be found in Moodle. Continuing education courses are either in Moodle or Ed2Go. If you are uncertain where to find continuing education courses, contact the continuing education program coodinator.

How do I get technology help?

The Freedlander LRC hosts a technology help desk to assist students with computer issues and questions. The IT Help Desk can be reached at 828.565.4009.

Help desk staffers can handle a wide variety of computer questions, including:

  • accessing HCC campus wireless networks
  • software installation/issues
  • Moodle, Network Access Portal and WebAdvisor login, navigation, and use
  • Microsoft Office use, including advanced features for Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
  • personal computer safety and efficiency consultation
  • document repair/recovery
  • and much, much, more!

The Help Desk also teams with the LRC to offer a weekly tech support tip series designed to make your academic life easier. Look for the "Tip of the Week" on the front page of the LRC homepage.

Help Desk hours change each semester, but you may contact the Help Desk at any time at 828.565.4009. (x4009 on campus). Please leave a message and return phone number if you are directed to voicemail.

Is there an online orientation?

Students will find a Student Orientation course listed under "My Courses" when logged in to Moodle. If you are new to HCC, this is a helpful course. If you are new to Distance Learning, be sure to check out the Moodle topic contained within the Student Orientation course. For more information, contact the Distance Learning Help Desk at or 828.627.4619 .

Student Services conducts a new Student Orientation at the beginning of fall and spring semesters. Students who cannot attend the face-to-face orientation may access the same information through theOrientation page and the Student Orientation course in Moodle.

How do I drop a class?

Students may withdraw from a course by contacting the course instructor and requesting to be withdrawn officially or by calling Student Services at 828.627.4500. Be aware that withdrawing from courses may negatively impact financial aid. If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office BEFORE dropping a class(es).

How can I buy my books online?

Books may be purchased online or in person. To purchase online, go to the Bookstore page and click the "Buy Your Books Online" link (at the top of the page) to determine what books you need for a course and to purchase them online if you wish to do so. You may have to view and agree to the Returns Policy before using this service. If you have trouble with your online bookstore account, please call 1-800-381-5151.

For further Bookstore assistance, details about the returns policy, and other Bookstore information, please visit our Bookstore page or call 828.565.4127.

How do I get help in my classes?

If you have questions about course content or specific course policies, you will need to contact your instructor. If your instructor does not respond in a timely fashion (48 hours, not counting days that HCC is closed), please contact the Distance Learning Help Desk and alert us to the problem. The Help Desk can be reached at or 828.627.4619.

If you need tutoring or additional academic assistance, please visit the Learning Support Servicespage or call 828.627.4696.

If you have questions about distance learning in general or need help with technical issues, you may call 828.627.4619 or email

If you need help with computer issues, such as using a word processor or downloading a file, please contact the Technology Help Desk at 828.627.4009 or in the Freedlander Library.

I keep hearing students talk about the HOP Assignment. What is it?

The HOP Assignment is an attendance quiz required in each online or hybrid course taken for college credit. It must be submitted during the first 10% of the semester in order to continue in the course. You will see the HOP when you first log in to your online (IN) and hybrid (Y) courses. Failure to complete the HOP by the 10% date will result in being marked a "no show" and dropped from the course. Being dropped from a course may negatively affect your program completion progress and financial aid.


Although I registered for classes, I am unable to access an online course.

You will not be able to access your online classes until 8 AM on the first day of the semester. If you are unable to log in once the semester starts, please call or email Distance Learning at 828.627.4619 Be sure to include your full name, student ID number, and the classes for which you are registered. If you are receiving an error message, please also include that message. Please note that if you registered late (after the semester has begun), it may take 24 hours for your course to be made available to you.

How do I contact my instructor?

Your instructor's contact information can be found in several locations within your online course. If you cannot locate this information, contact the Distance Learning Help Desk at or 828.627.4619. When e-mailing your instructor, be sure to include your first and last name as well as your course number.

I am a high school student. Can I enroll in online courses at HCC?

There are several ways that high school students can take online courses at HCC, depending on age and school involvement. Please contact our Academic and Career Counselor at or 828.627.4646 for assistance.

Why are courses from previous semesters still showing up when I log into Moodle?

Courses remain available on Moodle until your instructor turns them off or until one additional semester has passed, whichever comes first. Unless you took an incomplete in a course, you may safely ignore any old courses.

Why are courses from which I withdrew still showing up when I log into Moodle?

Courses from which you drop or withdraw have to be manually removed from your Moodle account. To have these courses removed, contact the Distance Learning office at 828.627.4619 or contact your instructor.

How do I change my Moodle password?

After logging in to Moodle, your profile settings will appear in the Settings block on the left. Select "My profile settings" >  "Change password" to change your password.

What do I do if I am locked out of a test or an assignment?

Contact your instructor immediately by email or phone. Most instructors have a policy about this in the course syllabus. If you do not have a reliable internet connection, it is strongly recommended that you use a local college or library when you take an online test.

What if I go over the time limit on a quiz or test?

Moodle displays the quiz time on your screen for timed quizzes. You will get a warning message when you are almost out of time and your quiz will automatically submit if you go over your time limit. If you somehow go over the limit without the quiz submitting, your instructor may deduct points from your score, so be sure to pay attention to the timer.

What do I do if I need to have a test proctored?

Some instructors require that certain tests be taken in a proctored situation, usually at a college or library. If this is the case, that instructor will provide you with the necessary requirements and forms.

If you need to have a test proctored at HCC, please contact Learning Support Services at 828-627-4696. There is no charge for test proctoring if the test is for a North Carolina Community College. There is a $25 fee for all other proctored tests.

How do I get a transcript?

Students can view transcripts, pay for classes, and complete similar tasks online through WebAdvisor. Log in to the Network Access Portal and select WebAdvisor. If you need an official transcript with the college's seal on it mailed to you, you can complete a transcript request form through our Transcript Request page. For assistance with the transcript request form, please contact Cheryl Farrell or 828.627.4510.

What Internet browser should I use?

We recommend the latest version of Firefox for your online courses in Moodle.

What hardware and software do I need?

Link to Recommended Hardware and Software

What is Rich Text Format (RTF) and how do I use it?

Rich Text Format (RTF) is a file type that can be opened by almost any computer with a word processing program. Your instructor may require that file submissions be in this format. When you save your file, choose Save As instead of Save and you'll be given the option to choose RTF as the file type. If you want more information about RTF, including illustrations for how to Save As a different file type, download our RTF Instructions document.

Why can't I open my instructor's documents?

Check your syllabus or course instructions for file types used in the course. If you have questions, contact your instructor. Please note: Students in some courses, such as CIS 110, are required to have Microsoft Office.

What is Print Screen and how do I use it?

Print Screen is a computer feature that allows you to transform whatever is currently on your computer screen (called a "screen shot") into a picture file that can be e-mailed or submitted electronically. Many instructors will ask you to use Print Screen in order to document the completion of certain computer activities. To use the Print Screen feature on a Windows-based machine:

  1. Make sure that your screen is showing exactly what you want your instructor to see.
  2. Hold down the SHIFT key and hit the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard (located near the upper right on most keyboards, it may say "PrtSc").
  3. Open a new file using a word processor, image editor, or some other program that allows you to manipulate images. Select PASTE from the toolbar (or use the CTRL-V shortcut). A picture of the screen shot should appear in the file. You can now manipulate the picture just like any other or you may save the file to submit to your instructor.
  4. Important note: Be sure that you don't COPY anything between Steps 1 and 2. This will cause you to lose the image that your print screen command captured.

What are Zip files and how do I use them?

Zip files are a way of compressing a lot of files in order to save space. Once retrieved, however, these files cannot be used unless you UNZIP them. Your course may require that you ZIP or UNZIP files. Many computers already have a Zip program, but yours may not.

If your computer has a Zip program, it should run automatically when you try to open a Zip file by double-clicking on it. If it does not, you can try right-clicking on the file to see if one of your options is to UNZIP. You may have to look at several options since the word "zip" may not be used. Other terms, like "compressed," might be used instead. If you do not have this option, then it is likely that a Zip program is not installed on your computer. That's okay -- you can download one free from the Internet.

The most popular Zip program is WinZip. You can purchase WinZip online at, but you can also download a trial copy of the program free of charge. There are many other free Zip programs available for download. To locate these programs, go to Google and type "zip files" into the search area. Any of the programs you find should work just as well as WinZip for the purpose of your online course. As always, do not download a program from a site that you do not trust!

What are Reviewing, Track Changes and Markup and how do I use them?

Microsoft Word has the ability to "track changes." This feature allows you to record any changes you have made to a document and also see what changes other people have made to the same document. If you are collaborating on a project or paper with other students, or if you are receiving assistance from Learning Support Services or your instructor, you may wish to use these features. To do so, use your View dropdown menu in Microsoft Word. Select Reviewing from the toolbar. This will open the Markup Toolbar. You can experiment with the Markup Toolbar to see its capabilities, but for a quick overview, visit


What is Curriculum Pathways and how do I use it?

Curriculum Pathways is a resource for online tutorials and activities that your instructors may make available to you. For more information, please visit our Curriculum Pathways page.