Student Services will be hosting Grad Day to celebrate the class of 2019 on March 20 from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Stop by for fun and games and a chance to purchase your cap and gown, take your graduation portrait and sign up to walk in the graduation ceremony. One FREE Sunshine Sammies ice cream will be given to each qualified graduate!
A representative from Herff Jones will be on campus to showcase and discuss class rings, diploma frames and graduation invitations.
Live Graduation 360 Video
New this year, we will have a 360 degree live video of the graduation ceremony for friends and family who cannot attend.
To tune in, visit:
HCC on YouTube
The 2018-19 Graduation ceremonies are scheduled as follows in our Charles M. Beall Auditorium in the 1500 building (student services).
Thursday, May 9, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Friday, May 10, 2019 at 4:30 pm and 7:30 pm
If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Enrollment Management Office at 828-627-4500.
Please verify that your phone number and address is current in our system through your WebAdvisor account. If it is incorrect, please come by Student Services to complete a data change form or email updates to email@example.com.
In order to graduate with a certificate, diploma, or degree (“degree”), students must meet the minimum requirements stated below. (Note: Some curriculum programs have additional, or more stringent requirements than the minimum):
- Successfully complete and pass all required courses within the College approved certificate, diploma, or associate degree program in which the student wishes to graduate.
- Hold a minimum 2.00 cumulative program grade point average (GPA).
- Be recommended for graduation by the curriculum department after final program evaluation.
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College.
- Complete an Application for Graduation (this must be on file at least 3 weeks before instruction ends during the semester in which a student plans to graduate in order to guarantee participation in the commencement ceremony) and submit to your academic advisor.
- Per Policy 5.2.9, transfer students must complete a minimum of 25% of their program credit hours of coursework at Haywood Community College before becoming eligible for graduation.
Announcements & Accessories
See the HCC Bookstore to order Cap, Gown and Tassel.
Thursday, May 9, 2019 – 6:30 pm Ceremony
Arts, Sciences, Natural Resources and Haywood Early College.
Friday, May 10, 2019 – 4:30 pm Ceremony
Health and Human Services.
Friday, May 10, 2019 – 7:30 pm Ceremony
Graduation Rehearsal & Lunch
Thursday, May 9, 2019 – 10:30 am at the Charles M. Beall Auditorium
We ask that all graduates please attempt to attend rehearsal as we will cover important information, run through the order of the ceremony and practice walking across the stage.
*A special graduation lunch hosted by the Student Government Association (SGA) will be held in the lobby of the auditorium immediately following rehearsal for all graduating students, along with faculty and staff of the College.
HCC has a professional photographer to take pictures of students as they receive their awards on stage. Information for ordering pictures is included in your graduation packet. Packets are mailed out in April for all summer 2018, fall 2018 and spring 2019 graduates.
*Please inform your family members in attendance that we request no flash photography during the ceremony to reduce distractions.
Note: We will also have a backdrop for graduate selfies and pictures in the second floor lobby of the 1500 building near the book store before and after the ceremony.
Graduates, you need to arrive at the 2nd-floor lobby near the bookstore 45 minutes prior to the ceremony for the processional lineup.
(Thursday, May 9, 2019 - 6:30 pm ceremony graduates arrive no later than 5:45 pm)
(Friday, May 10, 2019 - 4:30 pm ceremony graduates arrive no later than 3:45 pm)
(Friday, May 10, 2019 - 7:30 pm ceremony graduates arrive no later than 6:45 pm)
- The auditorium will open at approximately 1 hour in advance to the listed ceremony times. Due to our graduating class size, limited seating will be available in our auditorium for family and friends and will be on a first come, first serve basis. Attendees will receive a ticket at the door, which they must keep with them in case they need to step out before coming back in. Overflow seating will be available for attendees once the maximum seating capacity in the auditorium is reached (capacity is determined by the Fire Marshall). Seats may not be saved by family or friends who arrive early and attempt to hold seats for late arrivals.
- Parking - Staff and Faculty members of the College have been asked to park up the hill to leave plenty of room for guests in front of the 1500 building. Shuttles will be available around campus for guests who cannot park close to the auditorium. They will be identified by the HCC logo on the side of the vehicle. Additional handicap spaces will be blocked off on both sides of the building. If someone in your family needs special assistance, please notify us so we can provide the help they need.
- Please remind your family and friends attending that we are a tobacco-free campus.
If you are graduating with honors, you will receive your cord when you are lined up for the procession. Students graduating with honors will receive a white cord based on the following:
Cum Laude (with praise)
Magna Cum Laude (with high praise)
Summa Cum Laude (with highest praise).
Other cords include:
Haywood Early College - Gray cord/purple and gray tassel, and medallion
Future Cosmetologist Association – Pink cord
National Society of Leadership and Success – Red cord or black/white cord
National Technical Honor Society – Silver/purple cord
Phi Theta Kappa – gold stole and tassel (order or obtain through PTK advisor)
Student Ambassador – Silver cord (provided during rehearsal)
Student Government Association – Teal cord (provided during rehearsal)
Veterans – red, white, and blue cord (provided during rehearsal)
It is required that all graduates wear their approved black gown, cap, and tassel (begin the ceremony with tassels on the right).
Under your cap and gown we ask that you wear nice clothes and shoes (no flip flops). We caution against high heels, as wearing them increases the chances of falling while walking up and/or across the stage.
When Will You Receive Your Degree?
Please note, during the ceremony we will hand out a Haywood Community College diploma cover to you. All graduates who have completed the requirements for graduation will need to have their awards conferred (a process of approving all classes were satisfactorily completed) before they are printed and made available. The registrar’s office will contact you approximately two weeks after the graduation ceremony when your degree, certificate, and/or diplomas are ready to be picked up from the College. (Please verify that your phone number and address are current.) At that time, final official transcripts with the “graduate” stamp will be available for order as well.
Early College students will not receive their degrees until after their high school year officially ends, as we cannot award an HCC degree until after the high school year and high school diploma are complete. Associate degrees are typically awarded at the end of summer semester (end of July), and available following conferral of those degrees.
(Note: If you received your degree after graduation in 2018 (summer or fall) and are walking in this graduation ceremony, we will ask that you return your diploma covers at the end of the evening since you should have received one when you picked up your degree.)