Temporary COVID-19 Procedure Changes for Spring 2020


As of March 16, 2020, due to the circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, HCC will continue our current structure of classes online through the end of the spring semester scheduled for May 12.  With this decision, HCC administration has approved amendments to our policies and procedures, which provides some flexibility in how you approach your coursework to complete the spring 2020 semester.  Our primary goal is for everyone to complete the semester by the previously determined end date.  However, we understand that the current environment could greatly impact your ability to do that successfully.  Please read the following changes and discuss with your instructor if either of this options would benefit you if unable to complete by May 12 in the current online environment. 


Change to Withdrawal Policy

Per our withdrawal policy, students must withdraw from classes prior to the 75% point in the course.  However, for the Spring 2020 semester we have removed this requirement so that students may withdraw at any time without penalty.  You should consult with your instructor on a case by case basis if this is a decision you want to make.  A withdrawal (W) grade does not impact your GPA.


Change to Incomplete Procedure

Based on current procedure, students are allowed to request an incomplete (grade of “I”) with their instructor if specific circumstances exist that would prevent them from completing on time.  If the instructor approves the incomplete, the student has one semester to complete the work or the final grade will be recorded as an “F”.  However, with our recent change we have authorized instructors to approve any request for incomplete as needed.  Additionally, extensions beyond one semester for an incomplete are now an option.  Finally, if a student is unable to successfully finish their coursework beyond the semester, the final grade will be converted to a “W” (withdrawal) rather than an “F”. 


Again, our priority is to work with students as much as possible to successfully complete by the end of the term on May 12.  However, should either of the options listed above be of interest to you, please consult with your instructor.  If you have additional questions or concerns, please send those to Dr. Michael Coleman, Vice President of Student Services at mwcoleman@haywood.edu.


Normal Process Outside of Spring 2020

Dropping Courses

Your final eligibility for aid will be based on the number of hours for which you are enrolled at the 10% point of the semester. If you register and then drop or stop attending course(s) prior to that date, your eligibility for aid will be RECALCULATED on your remaining hours as of the 10% point of the semester. Students who receive a financial aid check based on more hours than those remaining as of the 10% point of the semester may be responsible for repaying a portion of any financial aid received. Dropping courses may affect your eligibility for future aid. Students should consult the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy to determine if dropping courses will affect your eligibility for aid.

Withdrawing from College

  • All or part of your financial aid may be reduced or canceled.
  • You may have a balance due to HCC because your financial aid award was adjusted.
  • A hold will be placed on your academic record and you will not be able to request transcripts, register for classes, etc. until you pay the amount owed to HCC as a result of your withdrawal.
  • Your credit history may be negatively affected when HCC reports your overdue account to an external credit agency.
  • You may not meet the satisfactory academic progress (SAP) requirements for continued financial aid assistance. Future financial aid may be jeopardized.


Withdrawal Procedure

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating how much financial aid a student can retain when withdrawing from all classes. Title IV Funds include Federal Pell Grants and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG).

If a student withdraws from all classes prior to completing 60 percent of the semester, they will have their eligibility for financial aid recalculated using the percentage of the semester you completed. 


 A student withdraws from all classes after completing only 30 percent of the semester.

The student is considered to have "earned" only 30 percent of the Title IV funds awarded.

The remaining 70 percent of funds awarded must be returned by the school and/or the student.

 The Withdrawal Process

It is the student’s responsibility to withdraw from course(s) if they cannot meet the requirements of the course.  Students who stop attending class without officially withdrawing will be administratively dropped from the class.

To officially begin the withdrawal process, the student should notify the Enrollment Management Office of his/her intent.  The student should complete the online Withdrawal Request Form . The Financial Aid Office will use your last day of attendance as the official withdrawal date. Withdrawal dates may also be established when an instructor reports a student as withdrawn. In this case, the student’s last day of attendance will be used to determine the percent earned.

The Financial Aid Office must determine if you were a recipient of Title IV funds who withdrew prior to the 60 percent point and perform the Return of Title IV Funds calculation. Return to Title IV Calculations are based on the student’s last day of attendance and/or class participation will be used. If it is determined that you received an overpayment, the Financial Aid Office is required to send written notification to you with the amount owed and the Title IV program to repay. This notification will be sent to you no later than 30 calendar days after the Financial Aid Office is notified of your withdrawal. Students will not be allowed to register or receive an official transcript until his/her account is cleared.


Please contact the FAO prior to withdrawing from classes- this may save you money and future eligibility for financial aid funds.

Please contact the Office of Enrollment Management for information on how to properly withdraw from your courses.