For more information, please refer to the  Financial Aid Factsheet.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is required for all types of Financial Aid. The FAFSA can be completed on-line at A separate application is required for all scholarships, and the Federal Work Study Program. You may apply for scholarships on our Scholarships page. Work Study applications are available on our Forms page or the Office of Financial Aid.

Is there a deadline for filing financial aid?

Students are strongly encouraged to apply for financial aid early. If you are a resident of North Carolina there is a possibility that additional state aid may be available to you. These funds are available on a first-come-first served basis.  Students must have all documentation on file with the Financial Aid Office by July 1st to ensure a financial aid award for the Fall semester.  Any files completed after that date will continue to be processed as quickly as possible.  Students have not been awarded financial aid until they have received an Award Letter notification from the HCC Financial Aid Office.


Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, the Long Leaf Committment Grant(for 2021 graduates) and the North Carolina Community College Grant.

Grant funds are based on need and usually do not have to be repaid. Eligibility is determined by FAFSA results, cost of attendance, and enrollment status. Grant funds will only pay for classes required to complete a specified program of study. Student aid will not pay if the student is reported as a “No Show” or “Audit” or if the grade received is a “Credit by Exam.”


North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship, North Carolina Forgivable Educational Scholarship/Loan, Golden LEAF, NC Targeted Assistance, NC Less Than Half Time and Institutional Scholarships. Scholarships may be awarded by the College, by the Haywood Community College Foundation, or by outside organizations. In general, scholarships are gift aid and are not required to be repaid if the eligibility requirements are met. To apply, students should access scholarship information on our Scholarships page.

Federal Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study Program is a federally funded program which provides part-time employment on campus for students who have demonstrated financial need. Students work up to 15 hours per week and receive a monthly paycheck. Students interested in the FWS Program should contact Darlene Duke  in the Financial Aid Office. FAFSA submission is required for consideration. A limited number of positions are available and are awarded as funding permits.

Am I able to deduct my tuition and fees on my taxes?

Information on the 2019 Tax Benefits for Education may be found here.

    What do I have to do to remain eligible to receive financial aid?
Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP)

Federal law requires students receiving federal student aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the institution. According to federal regulations concerning satisfactory academic progress, the school’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy must include both (1) a qualitative measure (the use of a cumulative grade point average) and (2) a quantitative measure (the maximum time frame for completion). Students receiving financial aid must maintain a 2.0 GPA and at least a 67% completion rate. This means that the student must complete at least 67% of all credit hours attempted, with a 2.0 GPA or better. SAP is calculated based upon all credit hours attempted and/or completed while attending Haywood Community College, not just the current enrollment period. Remember: Withdrawing from classes will affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information please see Maintaining Eligibility for Financial Aid.

What happens if I withdraw from school?
Return of Title IV Funds

If a student withdraws from all classes prior to the 60% point of any semester, he/she could owe money back to the Title IV program. The student is responsible for repaying any funds received which cannot reasonably be attributed to meeting his/her expenses at HCC and the amount of repayment will be based on regulations published by the Secretary of Education and on the Return of Title IV funds policy. The Return of Title IV Funds policy requires any student receiving financial aid to remain in all classes up to the 60% point of any semester. Withdrawing from all classes up to and including the 60% date, in most cases, will require repayment of funds. For more information, please visit the Return of Title IV Funds Policy page or the HCC catalog.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every semester?

Students must re-apply for financial aid each academic year. The FAFSA is available October 1st each year. Students are strongly encouraged to apply early.

Can I receive financial aid if I am enrolled as a part-time student?

     Pell Grant Awards are based upon enrollment status:

  • 1-5 semester credit hours = ¼ time
  • 6-8 semester credit hours = ½ time
  • 9-11 semester credit hours = ¾ time
  • 12 or more semester credit hours = Full time

For example: if the award is $1000 for full-time and the student is enrolled ½ time, the adjusted award amount will be $500.

There may be some cases when you must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours to receive aid.  Please contact us for details.

What should I do if I receive other types of aid?

If a student receives student aid from an outside source such as an Alternative loan, scholarships, TEACH, WIA, BIA, TAW, VR, etc. it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office regarding the type and the amount of assistance provided by the outside source.

How long can I receive financial aid?

The Federal PELL Grant program is limited to 12 semesters of full time enrollment or 600%.  The Department of Education monitors a student's PELL Lifetime Eligibility (LEU) and awards may be adjusted based on the information received on your student aid report.

Financial aid funds will pay for 150% of the hours required to complete a qualifying degree program. To calculate the hours of eligibility, multiply the hours required for your program by 150%. Students may take up to 30 hours of developmental classes over and above the 150% limit.

What happens if I have a student loan from the past that has not been repaid?

The student must certify that there are no loans in default status or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay any defaulted loan, and have not borrowed in excess of the loan limits under Title IV programs at any institution.

What about the money left over from grants or scholarships?

Any funds left over after tuition, fees, books, and supplies are charged against student financial aid belong to the student.  Refunds are mailed approximately 6 weeks from the first day of the semester and then once a month for those classes beginning later in the semester. Dates for the current semester can be found here. Checks will be mailed to the address on file with Enrollment Management. To verify your address, log in to your WebAdvisor account and click on “My Profile.” If your address is incorrect, a Data Change Form must be completed in the Enrollment Management Office if you are a local student. If you are a online learning student, you may change your address by sending an e-mail to with your student ID number, name, new address, and telephone number.

Will I have financial aid for summer?

Yes, as long as you meet all eligibility requirements.  Beginning with the 2018 summer semester, the department of Education has approved “Year Round Pell” and students may receive up to 50% of their annual entitlement for the summer semester.  Please contact your financial aid specialist if you have any questions.

Does Haywood Community College offer a payment plan?

Yes, a payment plan is available through Nelnet for your tuition and fees.  You may find more information here.