HCC offers a Community Health Worker certification program.
About being a Community Health Worker:
This position is a frontline public health worker who is a trusted member of the community. This trusting relationship enables the CHW to serve as a link between health/social services and the community in order to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural competence of service delivery.
As a Community Health Worker, you will build capacity at the individual and community level by increasing health knowledge and self-sufficiency through a range of activities. Additionally, Community Health Workers will:
- Provide interpretation and translation of services as needed
- Assist people in receiving the care they need
- Provide informal counseling and guidance on health behaviors
- Be an advocate for individuals and community health needs
- Provide some direct services such as first aid and blood pressure screenings
Community Health Workers are members of our community that want to help those in need as a volunteer (or for pay), in association with local health care systems and public health care systems in both urban and rural environments.
Some key roles:
- Cultural Liaison
- Health Navigator
- Health & Wellness Promoter
Core Competencies for the role:
- Communication Skills
- Capacity Building Skills
- Service Coordination Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Advocacy Skills
- Outreach Skills
- Personal Skills & Development
- Educational & Facilitation Skills
About the program:
- Gain the required knowledge, tools, and resources to become recognized as a Certified Health Worker in North Carolina.
- Following this program, you will be able to work in a variety of settings such as Health Departments, Hospitals, Clinics, and more.
- Instruction is designed to cover each core competency
- This course will encompass 96 hours for completion
- Program cost is approximately $180 for tuition, books, and fees.
- Once you complete the program, you are eligible to apply to become a certified Community Healthcare Worker and listed in the NC Certified CHW Registry.
Mondays & Wednesdays, 6:00pm – 10:00pm & Four Saturdays, 8:00am – 5:00pm
Classes start February 3rd
Krystal Shuler, 828-565-4103 or via email: email@example.com