Haywood Community College offers a Pharmacy Technician Training program which will begin late Fall of 2019. This program will prepare students to assist in a pharmacy setting through learning in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical experience.
This Pharmacy Technician program is a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Program.
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination® (PTCE®) which prepares students to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).
This Pharmacy Technician program will also apply for the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Entry-Level Pharmacy Technician Education and Training Program accreditation after the start of the first class to help further train technicians and advance patient safety in Western North Carolina.
- A career as a pharmacy technician prepares students to assist the pharmacist in dispensing medications and advancing patient safety. This course will prepare students with entry level pharmacy knowledge in community, compounding, and hospital settings.
- 2020 Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Program
- Able to submit American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Entry-Level (400 hour) Pharmacy Technician Education and Training Program application after the first class begins.
- Prepares students for eligibility to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics for a Pharmacy Technician indicates that:
- Median pay is $15.72 per hour
- Employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 7 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations
- For more information about this career opportunity, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Website: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacy-technicians.htm
Haywood Community College Pharmacy Technician students can expect to complete a total of 410 credit hours to obtain this certification. Coursework is split between the classroom and labs, as well as clinical work. You can expect to spend about 20 hours a week completing the necessary coursework.
- Classroom / Lab (270 hours):
- October 2019- February 2020
- Monday – Thursday, 5:30pm – 9:30pm
- Clinical (140 hours):
- March 2020 – April 2020
- Classroom and Lab work will be done at HCC West Waynesville Campus (23 Hendrix Street Waynesville, NC 28786)
- Clinical work will be completed at WNC Community & Hospital Pharmacies (within 1 hour from HCC)
- ~$1380 (Textbooks included) +Immunization records and costs of travel to and from clinical sites.
- Scholarships Available, visit our scholarships page for more information at https://www.haywood.edu/financial-aid/scholarships
- PTCE® Exam Cost Included, that’s $## that you won’t have to pay out of pocket once you complete the program.
UNIQUE LEARNING EXPERIENCES
Haywood Community College offers real-world software experience as part of the Pharmacy Technician program.
Haywood Community College is extremely grateful for the opportunity to partner with PioneerRx and provide students with the highest quality academic opportunities and understanding of safe medication practices they can utilize throughout their pharmacy technician careers.
- PioneerRx software provides interactive simulation training in the following areas:
- Pharmacy Workflow (Adding Patients and Prescriptions, Filling Prescriptions, Reviewing Prescriptions, and Point of Sale Activities)
- Inventory Management (Taking Inventory, Ordering and Receiving, and Managing Will Call)
- Enhanced Pharmacy Services (Documenting Immunizations, Disease State Management, Improving Adherence, and Compounding)
- Continuing Education Opportunities (more information at a later date)
- PioneerRx is a software company in Louisiana that focuses on rapid technology innovation and providing users with the right tools to carry out the innovations.
- Through PioneerRx University, educational institutions such as HCC can offer hands-on learning experiences within their program to provide students with a strong pharmacy foundation.
- To learn more about PioneerRx, please visit: https://www.pioneerrx.com/Web/blog/2018/02/pioneerrx-invests-in-education/
- CRITICALPOINT® Compounding Modules
- Utilize CriticalPointContinuing® Education to learn about Sterile Compounding and Hazardous Drugs
REGISTRATION or QUESTIONS
If you have questions about this program or want to get registered, please call [first name] at 828-627-4669 or email email@example.com.
Just a note:
- Please be advised of the following information from ASHP “illicit drug use, criminal background checks, and immunization status may prevent future employment as a pharmacy technician, and that externship sites, employers, and State Boards of Pharmacy have regulations about drug use, criminal backgrounds, and immunization status”
- Students will also be required to read over and sign acknowledgement of an information package which will be at the college. This must be completed prior to enrollment.