Pharmacy Technician Program Information
Haywood Community College (HCC) Pharmacy Technician Training program begins in Spring 2020. This program will prepare students to assist in a pharmacy setting through learning in a traditional classroom setting, hands on laboratory training, and clinical experience. The HCC Pharmacy Technician Training program is a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Program.
HCC Pharmacy Technician program also applies to the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Entry-Level Pharmacy Technician Education and Training Program accreditation after the start of the first class to help further train technicians and advance patient safety in Western North Carolina.
HCC Pharmacy Technician students can expect to complete a total of 410 credit hours to obtain this certification. Coursework is split between the classroom and labs, as well as clinical work. You can expect to spend about 20 hours a week completing the necessary coursework. Classroom and Lab work will be done at HCC West Waynesville Campus (23 Hendrix Street Waynesville, NC 28786). Clinical work will be completed at WNC Community & Hospital Pharmacies (within 1 hour from HCC).
The cost of the course includes students’ textbooks, immunization records, and the costs of travel between clinical sites. The cost of the course totals to $1,380.00. To learn about scholarships available please visit the following link: https://www.haywood.edu/financial-aid/scholarships. Please note the PTCE® Exam Cost Included: You won’t have to pay out of pocket once you complete the program.
Upon successful completion of the program, students are eligible to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination® (PTCE®) which prepares students to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT).
Registration for HCC’s Pharamcy Technician Program starts by clicking here! If you have questions about this program or need assistance in registering, please call Shannon Brown at 828-627-4669 or email email@example.com.
Pharmacy Technician Program Overview
- A career as a pharmacy technician prepares students to assist the pharmacist in dispensing medications and advancing patient safety. This course will prepare students with entry level pharmacy knowledge in community, compounding, and hospital settings.
- 2020 Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Program
- Able to submit American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) Entry-Level (400 hour) Pharmacy Technician Education and Training Program application after the first class begins.
- Prepares students for eligibility to become a Certified Pharmacy Technician (CPhT)
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics for a Pharmacy Technician indicates that:
- Median pay is $15.72 per hour
- Employment of pharmacy technicians is projected to grow 7 percent from 2018 to 2028, faster than the average for all occupations
- For more information about this career opportunity, visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics Website: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/pharmacy-technicians.htm
Pharmacy Technician Resources