Haywood Community College conducts Accuplacer college placement testing in room 203 and the Testing Center in the 1500 Building-Student Services. The test consists of three sections and assesses a student’s achievement level in reading comprehension, sentence skills, and math. The Accuplacer test is not a timed test, and it is administered on a computer.
Students who wish to take BIO 163, BIO 168, or CHM 151 must take respective prerequisite placement test(s), biology and chemistry, or transfer these courses from other colleges with a grade of “C” or better.
There is no fee for testing, and the Testing Center provides testing on a regular schedule. Please see Placement Testing.
Placement Test Preparation
- Kahn Academy
- Khan Academy is a not-for-profit whose goal is to “provide a free world-class education for anyone anywhere.” Khan Academy provides thousands of short videos or mini-lectures, along with “step-by-step problems and instant data.”
- This site provides free online lessons and learning forums on topics in Pre-Algebra and Algebra.
- Assessment Services (Valencia College)
- This site contains review guides and sample tests for each section of the Accuplacer. These guides were prepared by English and math faculty at Valencia Community College for their students taking the Accuplacer.
- Grammar Bytes
- Grammar Bytes is a site somewhat similar to Khan Academy but focused on grammar. It is free and provides tutorials and quizzes.
About the Accuplacer and Links
HCC encourages you to prepare for your placement test. Your scores will determine the courses for which you are eligible to register.
The links provided here are not under the direct or the indirect control of Haywood Community College and are provided to you as a service. By clicking the link, you will be leaving the HCC website.