If our library does not have the resource you need we may be able to locate it for you at another institution by submitting an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) request. Through the Community College Libraries in North Carolina (CCLINC) and WorldCat programs we have access to shared catalogs with more than 50 million records and usually receive the needed materials within 5 to 10 business days.
- Am I eligible to use ILL?
- ILL services are provided for all HCC faculty, staff, students, and Community Borrower's Card holders in good standing.
- How do I make an ILL request?
- You may request materials in-person at the circulation desk, by phone (828-627-4550), or by emailing the LRC staff.
- What materials may I request?
- Circulating books
- Articles from journals and newspapers
- Theses and dissertations, when available
- Government documents, records, maps, and many other document types
- Audio/Visual materials
Please note that reference materials and fragile/rare resources are not available through ILL. In addition, requests for DVDs or audio/visual materials be difficult to fulfill as many libraries prefer to reserve those items for in-house use only. All ILL requests must be filled in compliance with copyright laws.
- How much does an ILL request cost?
- ILL services are provided free of charge by A.L. Freedlander LRC and it is our policy to only make requests from lenders who do not charge fees. If your material is available only from an institution that charges an ILL fee you will be responsible for payment. LRC staff will notify you of any fees before processing your request.
- How long will it take for my request to arrive?
- LRC staff will process your request as soon as it is received. Materials from a lending library are generally shipped library rate 4th class mail and take 5-10 business days to arrive. Requests may take longer if a lender is not readily available or if the lending library is experiencing an unusually high workload.
- How will I know when my request has arrived?
- An LRC staff member will notify you by phone or email. Requests may be picked up at the circulation desk though it may be possible to fax or email photocopied documents. Please contact an LRC staff member for more information.
- When will my ILL request be due? May I request a renewal?
- ILL loan periods are generally from 4-6 weeks and renewals must be approved by the lending library. To renew a request, please contact an LRC staff member at least 3 days before the due date.
Interlibrary Loan Contact