Haywood Community College will hold alumni reunions for each program of study at Jammin' at the Mill Pond on Saturday, October 16 from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. This is a free bluegrass event to showcase the college, its programs and alumni, and the Appalachian heritage of Western North Carolina.
The event will be hosted by the Hominy Valley Boys and feature other local artists. Richard Hurley will emcee the event. There will be a molasses making demonstration, barbeque or catfish meals available for purchase, jammin’ areas, vendor booths, and corn shelling. In addition, there will be a free gospel concert in the college auditorium starting at 7 p.m.
There will be a special Alumni Reception Tent for alumni to gather at and get together with old friends. We encourage all HCC alumni, former and retired teachers to stop by and visit with former classmates. To facilitate the reunion process, the college has designated specific times for departments to meet under the tent. However, alumni are free to hang out and visit other departments if they want. The meeting schedule is as follows:
- Programs in Creative Arts will meet in the Alumni tent from 10 until 11 a.m. These programs include: Film & Video Production; Visual Basic Programming; and Production Crafts – Clay, Fiber, Jewelry, and Wood.
- Health and Human Services will meet from 11 a.m. until 12 p.m. These programs include: Associate Degree Nursing, CJ Alliance, Cosmetic Arts, Cosmetology, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education - Teacher Associate, Special Education, Infant-Toddler Care, Esthetics, Manicuring/Nail Technology, Medical Assisting, Nursing, Nursing Education Options, Practical Nursing, Recreation Leadership, and Therapeutic Massage.
- Natural resources will meet from 1 until 2 p.m. These programs include Biotechnology, Fish and Wildlife Management, Forest Management, Geospatial Technology, Horticulture, Low Impact Development, Natural Resources Specialist, Papermaking, Pulp and Paper Production, Veterinary Medical Tech, Wood Products, and all Sawmill Trades, which include Lumber Specialist, Saw Filer, Sawyer, and Lumber Grader.
- Business and Entrepreneurship programs will meet from 2 until 3 p.m. These programs include: Accounting, Administrative Office, Business Administration, Business Computer Programming, Entrepreneurship, Executive Administrative Office Assistant, Executive Secretarial, Financial Services, Industrial Management, Information Systems/Networking, Medical Office Administration, Medical Transcription, Microcomputer Systems, Network Administration and Support, Office Administration, Office Systems, Real Estate, Telecommunications & Network Engineering, and Web Graphics.
- Applied Technologies will meet from 3 until 4 p.m. Those programs include: Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration, Auto Body Repair, Automotive Mechanics/Automotive Systems, Building Construction, Cabinetmaking, Carpentry, Electrical Installation and Maintenance, Electrical/Electronics, Electronic Engineering, Machinist, Machining, Manufacturing Engineering, Masonry, Mechanical Engineering Automation and Robotics, Plumbing, Small Engine and Equipment Repair, and Welding.
- Arts and General Education will meet from 4 until 5 p.m. These programs include: Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, College Transfer-Arts, College Transfer-Science, General Education, General Occupational, and Haywood Early College. Continuing and Adult Education will meet from 5 until 6 p.m. Group photos will be taken on the half hour.
Last year, HCC’s first Forest Management graduating class held a reunion where 14 of the 22 graduates reunited. These 1969 graduates came from four states including North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee and were joined by other Natural Resources alumni from other years. HCC alumni are impacting not only the state, but also our world. Come see what your classmates are doing now and where their degree has taken them.
For more information about the alumni reunions or HCC’s Jammin’ at the Mill Pond event, please call Brenda Fannon at 627-4522.