Haywood Community College’s Jammin’ at the Millpond will be held on Saturday, October 12 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. on the college campus. Several HCC student clubs will participate in the event. From science experiments for the kids to competing in the beard contest, there’s something for everyone.
The free day long festivities will feature many student club events:
- Woodsmen’s Team demonstration
- Healthcare Business Informatics/Medical Office Administration club will hold a cornhole tournament from 12 until 2 p.m. There will be a $5 entry fee per team. All supplies will be available. There will be a prize for the winning team. All proceeds from the tournament will be used to send students to conference.
- Future Cosmetologist Association and the Dixie Beard and Moustache Society will co-sponsor a beard contest with eight categories and prizes for each category. There is a $5 entry fee. The categories are as follows: Natural Moustache-as it grows naturally, the more natural the better, no aids allowed; Styled Moustache-aids allowed; Goatee-as it grows naturally, the more natural the better, no curled moustaches, no styling aids; Corporate Beard-highly groomed and manicured beard no longer than 1 inch, shaping and manscaping encouraged, aids allowed; Full Beard Natural (under 12 inches)-full beard as it grows and left natural, moustache is blended into the beard, no aids; Southern Belle-Realistic- women’s category only, use creative materials in construction of beards with the goal of appearing realistic; Southern Belle-Creative-women’s category only, use creative materials in construction but does not follow traditional structure, can be abstract representations of beards; Best of Beard and Moustache-winners of all categories compared and overall winner selected.
- PCs for GEDs will accept tax-deductible computer donations at the lower level of Student Services. This green initiative is aimed at helping members of the community discard old PC computer equipment while supporting the educational success of HCC GED graduates.
- Criminal Justice Club will be fingerprinting and have drunk driving simulation glasses.
- The Student Association of Medical Assistants by selling tickets for a basket drawing and a 50/50 drawing. In addition, the club will offer free blood pressure checks.
- The Horticulture Club will sell heirloom vegetable seeds along with small house plants.
- The Book Club is sponsoring Dawn Cusack, local children’s book author and HCC instructor. She will perform simple biology experiments for children and have books for sell. Experiments will be at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., 1 p.m., and 2 p.m.
For more information about HCC’s Jammin’ at the Millpond, please call 627-4522 or 627-4544