The mission of Haywood Community College’s Armed Resource Officers and Campus Security Departments is to provide the safest educational environment as possible for all faculty, staff, students, and visitors at all Haywood Community College locations. Haywood Community College’s Armed Resource officers are trained deputies of the Haywood County Sheriff’s Office. They have the responsibility of enforcing College rules, regulations, and safety policies as well as enforce state and federal laws. Security officers are trained professionals certified by the State of North Carolina Private Protective Service under N.C.G.S. 74C. Officers have the responsibility to enforce all College rules, regulations, and safety policies and work closely with Armed Resource Officers and local law enforcement to enforce state and federal laws.
Registration of Vehicles
- For the purpose of vehicle registration, groups are specifically described as follows:
- Curriculum Students
- Faculty and Staff
- Non-Curriculum Students
- All individuals, as described above, will receive parking permits at no charge. Permits are applicable for the school year. Permits are available in the Bookstore.
- All permits must be displayed on the LEFT REAR BACK WINDOW OF EACH REGISTERED VEHICLE OR, if rear back window is obstructed display LOWER FRONT DRIVER’S SIDE.
- Parking permits issued for a specific vehicle are not transferrable. Additional parking permits are available if needed for different vehicles. If the vehicle is sold, the permit should be destroyed.
- At times when a non-permitted vehicle is used on a temporary basis contact the Campus Security Department to make arrangements.
Faculty and staff parking is designated by yellow outlined spaces. Student Parking is designated by use of spaces outlined in white, however faculty, staff and visitors may also park in white outlined spaces.
Handicapped spaces are marked with D.O.T. approved signs and are enforced by Haywood Community College’s Armed Resource Officers and Security, as well as local law enforcement.
During the first week of each semester Haywood Community College’s Armed Resource Officers and Security will issue Warning Citations to Students, Faculty and Staff for parking violations; parking tickets will be issued thereafter.
Campus Armed Resource Officers and Security Officers issue tickets for the following violations ($5.00 fine for each offense): (Violations are not limited to these infractions.)
- Parking not in agreement with parking sticker (ie: student parked in faculty parking)
- Occupying more than one parking space
- Failure to display current decal
- Parking in lane of traffic
- Blocking building entrances
- Obstructing sidewalk
- Parking on sidewalks
- Double parking
- Parking in restricted lot or zone
- Parking in reserved space
- Parking on grass
- Parking within 15 feet of a fire hydrant
- Parking against flow of traffic
- Protruding into lane of traffic
- Parking in visitor parking
- Reckless driving
- Blocking loading zone
- Driving in excess of posted speed limits
- Parking on shoulder of road
- Others as deemed necessary
Student registration for new/additional courses or release of transcripts will be blocked until all parking tickets have been paid. A list of unpaid fees of faculty and staff will be submitted to Human Resources and supervisors for review with the employee during the employee evaluation process. If fees are not paid in a timely manner disciplinary action may be enforced.
Haywood Community College reserves the right to tow any vehicle on Haywood Community College property at the owner’s expense. If a vehicle is towed the College will follow North Carolina General Statues 20-219.11 in regards to notification to the registered owner.
Armed Resource Officer’s have authority to issue State citations for any state violation.
Violations – Handicapped Spaces
A handicapped parking violation issued by Armed Resource Officers or local law enforcement may cost up to $250.00 and does require a court appearance.
Emergency Call Boxes
Haywood Community College has placed emergency call boxes (solar powered phones in blue boxes mounted on poles) in the following locations:
- 200 Building parking lot
- Upper parking lot behind the Student Center near the steps leading to Cosmetology
- 7000 Building top floor and outside at the bottom floor entrance
These call boxes make a direct call to the Security Department during operating hours. For emergency needs call the Armed Resource Officer at 828-593-8477 Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., or call 911.