The HCC Research and Institutional Effectiveness Office is the college’s resource for information regarding all aspects of the institution. Whether a survey for a class, data for a grant, or guidance with strategic planning, the Research and Institutional Effectiveness Office can assist.
Haywood Community College adheres to a model of continuous improvement, and the Research and Institutional Effectiveness Office provides data and support to all College departments as they engage in assessment and planning. Some of our services include:
- Online survey design, scoring, and reporting
- Historical data mining
- Educational research
- Demographic data mining
- Real-time data reporting
- Custom queries and reports
- Assistance with departmental strategic planning
- College-wide strategic planning
- State and federal reporting
- Student and community focus groups
- Research reviews
The Research and Institutional Effectiveness Department (RIE) is responsible for the support of employees who are defining, gathering, analyzing, and using data related to student learning outcomes, college efficiency, and other measures of institutional success and effectiveness. RIE conducts, documents, and reports internal assessments, surveys, and research studies; ensures compliance with state and federal reporting requirements; and facilitates college strategic planning.
The Research office manages evaluations of college courses. Most courses are evaluated near the beginning of the semester and near the end. Students can access open evaluations through the Course Evaluations page and will receive evaluation invitations via email to their HCC email accounts.
The Research Office's direct email address is email@example.com. Individual Research Office personnel are listed below.
HCC policy requires that data requests from non-HCC personnel be sent to the Marketing and Communications department (firstname.lastname@example.org or /marketing_and_communications). Please see Procedure 1.1.1: Dissemination of Public Records and Information for complete details.
HCC personnel requiring data from the Research Office should put in a ticket using Haywired or should contact the Research Office directly.
Individuals wishing to conduct research using HCC students or personnel should follow the Research Review Procedure.
Research and Institutional Effectiveness
Efforts of the RIE office focus on improving student learning and developmental programs and services through assessment and evaluation consistent with the college mission. Data is shared with college leaders for use in critical decisions and to monitor institutional effectiveness.
It is our goal to:
- Provide demographic data on students, target populations, and service area
- Assess student satisfaction with instruction, programs, and services
- Conduct periodic assessments of college services by students, faculty, and staff
- Assist with program evaluations performed on a 3-year cycle
- Provide data on assessments and evaluations to leaders, faculty and staff, and state and federal offices as a basis for improvement
- Lead campus-wide strategic planning and evaluation efforts
- Assist with SACSCOC requirements and reaccreditation efforts
- Survey and evaluation results distributed
- Reports for NCCCSO Critical Success Factors submitted accurately and in timely manner
- Support provided to faculty and staff in completion of mandated reporting
- RIE Web site (HCC electronic facts book) kept current and informative
- SACSCOC annual reporting completed accurately and in timely manner