* * *
In accordance with recommendations surrounding COVID-19, Haywood Community College is adhering to social distancing strategies. Student Wellness is taking measures to reduce in-person interactions at this time, including staff telecommuting. If you need to speak with Student Wellness, please contact us by email at HCC-Wellness@haywood.edu or by phone at 828-627-4504.
* * *
To offer transparent and seamless access to disability-related services that uniquely support each student and that ensure equal access to educational success
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, students must disclose disabilities to Student Wellness in order for Haywood Community College to provide reasonable accommodations.
- The student discloses the type of disability, the related limitations, and the current impact of the disability to Student Wellness staff and completes required forms. Accommodations should be requested at least two weeks in advance to allow time for implementation. For this same reason, accommodations for the current semester that are requested within two weeks of the last day of instruction will be denied.
- The student provides proof of the disability from a physician, mental health professional or other appropriate specialist stating the nature of the disability and recommendations for needed accommodations. The documentation must reflect the current impact of the disability. Student Wellness staff will not diagnose disabilities. The documentation accepted at HCC may not suffice for universities or professional and certification exams.
- The student engages in an interview with Student Wellness staff.
- Student Wellness staff documents the reasonable accommodations that the College will provide as determined from the student interview and appropriate documentation. All of the information is collected by Student Wellness staff and filed with a copy of the mutually agreed upon accommodations.
- Student Wellness staff sends the accommodation form to the instructor. The instructor and student completes the accommodation agreement within two weeks of receiving the accommodation form.
- The student reviews the accommodations with Student Wellness staff prior to or at the beginning of each semester during which the student wishes to receive accommodations.
Please see the Disability Services Handbook below for more details about the accommodation process at Haywood Community College.
Please be aware of the attendance policy located in the HCC Catalog on our Publications page.
Please note that all students regardless of disability must meet the technical standards of a program with or without reasonable accommodations.
Disability Services Handbook
- Snap&Read and CoWriter Instructions
- Americans with Disabilities Act
- College Guide for Students with Disabilities
- HCC Policy 5.4.5 Service Animals and Other Animals on Campus
- NCDHHS: Service Dogs for People with Disabilities
Building 1500; Student Services
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and other applicable federal and state laws and regulations, the College prohibits discrimination in its services and programs based on race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status.