Skip to main content

Enrollment Procedures


Admissions Procedure for Diploma and Associate Degree Seeking Programs (Curriculum Students)

  • Submit a Residency Determination Service and Haywood Community College Application. The RDS and HCC College application for admission is available at
  • Send an official high school transcript or official GED scores from a regionally accredited institution to the Registrar’s Office. These transcripts must include the date the diploma was awarded, the type of diploma, have the official seal of the school, and final GPA-weighted and un-weighted. It must be mailed or electronically transferred from the issuing school or agency. Current applicants who are high school seniors should submit a transcript showing work through the end of the first semester of the senior year. A final official transcript, including a final unweighted GPA, must then be submitted upon high school graduation and before enrollment to be fully accepted. Applicants who have completed an associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution may submit college transcripts with conferred degree awarded in lieu of high school transcripts.

Please send transcripts to:

Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Drive, Clyde, NC 28721 or if requesting an electronic transcript by a secure electronic provider. Transcripts sent from generic email addresses or faxed will not be considered official and will not be reviewed for enrollment purposes.

  • Complete the Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) placement test to ensure academic readiness.

The placement test (or parts of it) can be waived with the following:

  • Previous ASSET, COMPASS or ACCUPLACER scores
  • ACT scores (English = 18+, Math = 22+, Reading = 22+)
  • SAT scores
    • Prior to March 2016: Critical Reading=500+, Writing= 500+, Math=500+
    • After March 2016: Evidence Based Reading/Writing 480+, Math 530+
  • PLAN scores (Reading = 18+, English = 15+, Math = 19+)
  • PSAT scores (Reading = 47+, English = 45+, Math = 47+)
  • Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) Placement. Please visit the following link for additional placement information – Placement Testing. (Transcripts must be evaluated by Haywood Community College to determine RISE eligibility.)
  • Previous college-level English and math courses with a grade of “C” or higher. (Transcripts must be evaluated by Haywood Community College.)

Additional admission requirements for Nursing applicants are listed in the Academic Program of Study.

Transfer Credit

Students seeking transfer credit must complete Haywood Community College’s general admissions requirements, and submit official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office. Post-secondary institutions must be regionally accredited and transcript(s) must bear the official seal of the institution. Academic deans must approve all courses transferred prior to the end of the first semester of enrollment. Students will be notified in writing by the Enrollment Management office of transfer credits awarded. Once awarded, students may view the transfer credit by accessing their Self-Service account.

Change of Major (Program of Study)

Currently enrolled students desiring to change their major should first contact their academic advisor. Formal changes must be cleared through the Registrar’s Office by completing a Change of Curriculum Form. In addition, veterans must also be approved for change through the Veteran’s Certifying Official in Student Services and/or the Veteran’s Administration. A new academic advisor and success coach will be assigned for the new major.

Admissions Procedure for Certificate Programs

Submit an RDS and HCC Application. The RDS and HCC applications for admission is available at

Students who change from certificate programs to diploma or associate degree programs must complete the additional requirements for admission to those programs (listed under admission requirements for diploma and associate degree programs).

Admission as a Non-Degree Seeking Curriculum Student

  • Submit an RDS and HCC Application. The RDS and HCC applications for admission is available at
  • Prerequisites must be met before enrolling in those courses requiring prerequisites.
  • If transfer credits or placement scores will be used to waive the HCC placement test or a prerequisite, official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution must be received before registering for the course.

Non-degree seeking students are those students who enroll in one or more courses but do not desire to graduate from one of the established curricula. The student may register for any course which is open to all students and does not require a prerequisite. However, if you plan to register for a course that requires a prerequisite course, you must submit an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution showing completion of this requirement with a grade of “C” or better prior to registering. An applicant who plans to enroll in mathematics and/or English courses must satisfactorily complete the College placement test requirement. Please check our current catalog to review the prerequisite(s). Students may not register for courses in a program that has a waiting list or restricted admission (such as nursing).

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans benefits nor are they permitted to earn any degree, diploma, or certificate awarded by the college. Students seeking to change to a degree-seeking status must complete an Application Update/Change of Curriculum form for admission and follow the admission procedure for the diploma, associate degree, or certificate.

Admissions Denial Appeal Procedure

Applicants denied admission pursuant to 1D SBCCC 400.2 (d) shall be afforded due process through an established appeals process. Admission appeals are reviewed by the Executive Vice President of Instruction and Student Services. Appeals must be submitted to the EVP within ten (10) days following the date of the initial decision.

Tech Prep High School Transfer Credit

The College Tech Prep Program is a high school course of study that is designed to provide students, ninth grade through twelfth grade, with a more technically oriented educational background leading from high school graduation to a certificate, diploma, or associate degree at a technical or community college.

Haywood Community College has agreed to award course credit to state-wide high school graduates for successful completion of designated and approved courses at the high schools through formal articulation agreement with NC State Board of Education, and the NC State Board of Community Colleges.

Students must score a designated minimum score (per the articulation agreement) on the high school standardized VoCATS assessment and receive a grade of “B” or better in the high school course. In order to receive articulated credit, students must enroll at the community college within two years of their high school graduation date. To receive credit for tech prep courses, students must submit a high school transcript or other official documentation with the tech prep courses, the VoCATS score, and the grade for the course.

Provisional Admission

An applicant may be provisionally accepted into the college and permitted to register prior to completion of all admissions requirements. Students who are admitted on a provisional basis must complete all admission requirements within the first semester of attendance.

Readmission of Curriculum Students

Returning students who are eligible for readmission and who have not been enrolled at HCC for three academic semesters or more must submit a new application for admission and updated residency classification prior to registration. The application for admission is available at The student is required to meet the curriculum requirements in effect at the time of readmission according to the current college catalog.

Students who have been placed on academic or disciplinary suspension must fulfill the terms of their suspension before being considered for readmission. Students on disciplinary suspension must also submit a letter to the Executive Vice President of Instruction and Student Services requesting readmission.

The College reserves the right to deny readmission to a former student, including a student who has unsettled financial obligations at the college or who has not complied with previous disciplinary requirements. All of the student’s debts to the College must be paid in full before registering for courses.