Skip to main content

Financial Hardship


If you are facing a financial hardship or an unforeseen financial need, our team has numerous funding sources to help. Expenses such as rent, medical, transportation and childcare, we're here to help to keep you on a successful educational track.

Lavender Fund

HCC cares about our students. We have designated funds available for students facing a financial need. With our Lavender Fund, if you are a first year-second semester or later student, you can apply for funds to help cover one-time emergency needs. 

Truist Canopy Housing Foundation The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina Typical funding needs that students request include:

  • Transportation needs (public transportation, gas, etc.)
  • Child Care
  • Heating and utility assistance
  • Housing
  • Food and Hunger assistance

Learn More    

Finish Line Grants

Too often, financial emergencies like unexpected healthcare costs, childcare expenses or vehicle breakdowns prevent students from completing their programs. Finish Line Grants are awarded to eligible students facing unforeseen challenges. 

Finish Line Grants provide community college students that are 25% of the way toward completing their degree or credential program with emergency aid up to $1,000 per semester for an unanticipated financial hardship. These grants may help cover costs such as transportation, childcare, housing assistance, utility bills, medical needs and assistance with tuition, fees, or course materials.


  • Students that have a financial emergency that may prevent completion of courses.
  • Students currently enrolled at HCC with a minimum GPA of 2.0, in good academic standing.
  • Students that have completed at least 25% of their degree or credential program. 
  • Students should have a completed FAFSA on file with HCC.

Please contact our Financial Aid Team at 828-627-4756 or for more information.


Apply Here       Please submit your completed application to 

Child Care Grant

The NC General Assembly allocates funds to assist student-parents with their financial responsibilities for childcare expenses so they may complete their educational goals.  Haywood Community College (HCC) has a limited amount of childcare funds available through the NC Childcare Grant to assist eligible students.  Funds are limited and are awarded on a first come, first served basis.


At a minimum, eligible students applying for this grant:

  • Must have a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have unmet financial need.
  • Must be a NC resident (Determined by the NC Residency Determination Services).  Criteria outlined in G.S. 116-143.1 following the coordinated and centralized residency determination process administered by the State Education Assistance Authority, the NC Residency Determination Service.
  • Must be pursuing a curriculum course of study at HCC.
  • Must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours at HCC.  Priority will be given to students who are enrolled full-time (12 or more credit hours).
  • Must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements.
  • Childcare services cannot be paid for in advance.  Providers are paid after services are rendered and all required documents have been received.  

    Apply Here                               Please submit your completed application to

Contact Us

Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 8-5 and Friday 8-4

Phone: 828-627-4756