Skip to main content

Financial Aid

Haywood Community College offers numerous opportunities for students to obtain financial aid.

Finances should not be a barrier to obtain your higher education and our team is here to help guide you through the process to ensure you apply and receive the most assistance possible for your educational journey. 

Most financial aid at HCC is awarded on the basis of need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Students must complete the same application process (FAFSA) to be considered for any financial aid including state grants and Scholarships at HCC. Some of the requirements to receive aid from federal financial aid programs are as follows: 

  • Be a citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States with a valid social security number. 
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Educational Development (GED) certificate. 
  • Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or diploma. Students who are enrolled as special credit students are not eligible to receive federal financial aid. Some certificate programs are eligible for financial aid.  
  • Not be in default on a Federal Student Loan
  • High school transcripts/GED are required for eligible certificate programs. 

Please note that financial aid communications will be emailed to student’s email account so we encourage students to check this often to ensure all necessary documents are received and returned in a timely manner. Financial Aid information can also be accessed through student’s Self-Service accounts. 




Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, the Long Leaf Commitment Grant (for 2022 graduates) and the North Carolina Community College Grant. 

Grant funds are based on need and usually do not have to be repaid. Eligibility is determined by FAFSA results, cost of attendance, and enrollment status. Grant funds will only pay for classes required to complete a specified program of study. Student aid will not pay if the student is reported as a “No Show” or “Audit” or if the grade received is a “Credit by Exam.” 

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) 

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program is a federal program that provides money to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range from $250.00 to $500.00 per academic year at HCC and are awarded based upon exceptional financial need criteria and the order in which Student Aid Reports are received that meet these criteria. 

North Carolina Community Grant (NCCCG) 

Eligibility: Must be a North Carolina resident enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester in curriculum programs. Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant. Students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be considered for this grant based on estimated family contribution as determined on the Student Aid Report. The amount per grant will vary according to financial need. 

North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS) 

The NCELS program is available to legal residents of North Carolina who are enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester in a curriculum program; classified as an undergraduate in matriculated status in a degree, certificate, or diploma program at an eligible North Carolina Institution. Students are required to submit the FAFSA to be considered for this grant. 


North Carolina Forgivable Educational Scholarship/Loan, Golden LEAF, NC Targeted Assistance, NC Less Than Half Time and Institutional Scholarships. Scholarships may be awarded by the College, by the Haywood Community College Foundation, or by outside organizations. In general, scholarships are gift aid and are not required to be repaid if the eligibility requirements are met. To apply, students should access scholarship information on our Scholarships page. 

Federal Work Study Program 

The Federal Work Study Program is a federally funded program which provides part-time employment on campus for students who have demonstrated financial need. Students work up to 15 hours per week and receive a monthly paycheck. Students interested in the FWS Program should contact Darlene Duke in the Financial Aid Office at FAFSA submission is required for consideration. A limited number of positions are available and are awarded as funding permits. 

Payment Plan 

Haywood Community College offers a payment plan for tuition and fees.  Although this is not a form of financial aid, it is an alternative to those students who are not eligible for financial aid.  The payment plan is through Nelnet and more information may be found here


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a program of financial assistance for the education and training of veterans, reservists, and their dependents who meet the federal criteria. The State Approving Agency approves the curriculum programs for VA benefits. 

Haywood Community College is approved for the following VA Educational Programs: 

  1.  Post 9/11 G.I.Bill® (Chapter 33) 
  1. Montgomery G.I.Bill® (Chapter 30) 
  1. Chapter 1606 for Reservists 
  1. Chapter 1607 (REAP) 
  1. VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)     
  1. Chapter 35 - Dependents of qualified veterans                      

Please see our Veterans Services page for details. 

Other Agencies and Resources 

In addition to applying for financial aid through HCC, it is suggested that students make themselves aware of programs through the Veterans Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation, N.C. Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the N.C. Employment Security Commission. Referral information is available through the Financial Aid Office. 

Complete the appropriate Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This form is required for all types of Financial Aid. The FAFSA can be completed on-line at A separate application is required for all scholarships, and the Federal Work Study Program. You may apply for scholarships on our Scholarships page. Work Study applications are available on our Forms page or the Office of Financial Aid. 

Students are strongly encouraged to apply for financial aid early.

If you are a resident of North Carolina there is a possibility that additional state aid may be available to you. These funds are available on a first-come-first served basis.  Students must have all documentation on file with the Financial Aid Office by July 1st to ensure a financial aid award for the Fall semester.  Any files completed after that date will continue to be processed as quickly as possible.  Students have not been awarded financial aid until they have received an Award Letter notification from the HCC Financial Aid Office. 

Information on the 2022 Tax Benefits for Education may be found here.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP) 

Federal law requires students receiving federal student aid to maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the institution. According to federal regulations concerning satisfactory academic progress, the school’s Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy must include both (1) a qualitative measure (the use of a cumulative grade point average) and (2) a quantitative measure (the maximum time frame for completion). Students receiving financial aid must maintain a 2.0 GPA and at least a 67% completion rate. This means that the student must complete at least 67% of all credit hours attempted, with a 2.0 GPA or better. SAP is calculated based upon all credit hours attempted and/or completed while attending Haywood Community College, not just the current enrollment period. Remember: Withdrawing from classes will affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress. For more information, please see Eligibility Responsibilities

Return of Title IV Funds 

If a student withdraws from all classes prior to the 60% point of any semester, the student could owe money back to the Title IV program. The student is responsible for repaying any funds received which cannot reasonably be attributed to meeting their expenses at HCC and the amount of repayment will be based on regulations published by the Secretary of Education and on the Return of Title IV funds policy. The Return of Title IV Funds policy requires any student receiving financial aid to remain in all classes up to the 60% point of any semester. Withdrawing from all classes up to and including the 60% date, in most cases, will require repayment of funds. For more information, please visit the Financial Aid Withdrawal page or the HCC catalog.

Students must re-apply for financial aid each academic year. The FAFSA is available October 1st each year. Students are strongly encouraged to apply early. 

  • 1-5 semester credit hours = ¼ time
  • 6-8 semester credit hours = ½ time
  • 9-11 semester credit hours = ¾ time
  • 12 or more semester credit hours = Full time 

For example: if the award is $1000 for full-time and the student is enrolled ½ time, the adjusted award amount will be $500. 

There may be some cases when you must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 hours to receive aid.  Please contact us for details. 

If a student receives student aid from an outside source such as an Alternative loan, scholarships, TEACH, WIA, BIA, TAW, VR, etc. it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office regarding the type and the amount of assistance provided by the outside source. 

The Federal PELL Grant program is limited to 12 semesters of full-time enrollment or 600%.  The Department of Education monitors a student's PELL Lifetime Eligibility (LEU) and awards may be adjusted based on the information received on your student aid report. 

Financial aid funds will pay for 150% of the hours required to complete a qualifying degree program. To calculate the hours of eligibility, multiply the hours required for your program by 150%. Students may take up to 30 hours of developmental classes over and above the 150% limit. 

The student must certify that there are no loans in default status or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay any defaulted loan and have not borrowed in excess of the loan limits under Title IV programs at any institution. 

Any funds left over after tuition, fees, books, and supplies are charged against student financial aid belong to the student.  Refunds are mailed approximately 6 weeks from the first day of the semester and then once a month for those classes beginning later in the semester. Dates for the current semester can be found here.



Checks will be mailed to the address on file with Enrollment Management. To verify your address, log in to your Self-Service account and click on “User Options” and then "User Profile" If your address is incorrect, a Data Change Form must be completed in the Enrollment Management Office if you are a local student. If you are a online learning student, you may change your address by sending an e-mail to with your student ID number, name, new address, and telephone number. 

Yes, as long as you meet all eligibility requirements.  Beginning with the 2018 summer semester, the department of Education has approved “Year Round Pell” and students may receive up to 50% of their annual entitlement for the summer semester.  Please contact your financial aid specialist if you have any questions. 

Yes, a payment plan is available through Nelnet for your tuition and fees.  You may find more information here. 

Special circumstances are conditions that exist for an individual student. Some examples are:

·        Recent unemployment of the student, spouse or parent

·        Medical expenses not covered by insurance

·        Homeless or dislocated worker

·        Other significant changes in family income or assets

If you feel that you have a special circumstance, please contact the financial aid office and speak to a specialist.  If eligible, we may have the option of adjusting your FAFSA information to better reflect your current situation. Please allow us at least 14 business days to complete our review of your request and provide you with the outcome.  The financial aid office will reply by email to your HCC student account.

Unusual circumstances are conditions leading to changes to a student’s dependency status. Some examples are:

·        Human trafficking

·        Refugee or asylee status

·        Parental abandonment, incarceration, etc.

·        Unable to contact parents

·        Contact with parents poses risk



Contact Us

Office Hours:
Monday – Thursday: 8:00am-5:00pm
Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm

Phone: 828-627-4756