Skip to main content

Types of Aid


Longleaf Commitment

North Carolina has developed a grant program for 2022 high school graduates**. There is not a separate application for this grant, consideration for funding is automatic once the FAFSA is filed and local college verification is completed.

**For 2021 and 2022 High School graduates.

Eligibility Requirements:

  • Graduate from a North Carolina high school in 2021 or 2022
  • Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes
  • Be a first-time college student (Career & College Promise and Early/Middle College High School students are eligible)
  • Enroll in a curriculum program during the 2022-23 academic year
  • Enroll in at least 6 credit hours per semester
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for 2021-22
  • Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from $0-$15,000. (EFC is based upon student’s FAFSA determination).
  • Renew FAFSA for the 2022-23 academic year and meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements of the college.

Full-time eligible students are guaranteed to receive $700-$2,800 per year, for a total of two years. Less than full-time students may receive a partial award.
Additional Information from the NC College Foundation
Start your FAFSA application

Tuition Free Guarantee

The HCC Tuition Free Guarantee will pay for up to four semesters at the in-state tuition rate for any 2023 qualifying high school graduate (public, private, homeschool, or HCC High School Equivalency graduate) from Haywood County who does not obtain the full amount needed through federal financial aid and/or scholarships. The guarantee will be applicable for up to two years (fall & spring semesters only) of enrollment as long as the student continues to meet our predefined criteria.

Tuition Free Guidelines & Qualifications

Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant program is a federal program that provides funding for undergraduate students. Eligibility is based on financial need. Submission of the FAFSA is required for consideration.

Pell Grant Application Online

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant program is a federal program that provides money to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range from $250.00 to $500.00 per academic year at HCC and are awarded based upon exceptional financial need criteria and the order in which Student Aid Reports are received that meet these criteria.

North Carolina Scholarship

Eligibility: Must be a North Carolina resident enrolled for at least 6 credit hours per semester in curriculum programs. Eligibility is determined based on the same criteria as the Federal Pell Grant. Students not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant may be considered for this grant if their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is 7,500 or less as determined by the FAFSA. Students are guarenteed at lest $2,800 from combined federal and state aid.

Federal Work Study Program

The federal work study program is a need based program offered to HCC students.  This program allows students to be paid while working a part-time job on campus. These funds are limited each year and placement is based on a first come, first served basis.  Please contact the federal work study coordinator at 828-565-4170 for information and placement. Application is available here.


NCCC System Child Care Grant

Each year, HCC receives a limited amount of funds from the NCCC System for childcare grants.  These funds must be paid directly to the provider and the student must have a completed FAFSA on file.  Interested students may contact the financial aid department.



Through the generosity of individuals, businesses, and civic organizations, scholarships are available to HCC students. These scholarships are established with gifts from donors to the HCC Foundation and are either endowed or annually funded. Criteria for awarding the scholarships are specified by the donors in conjunction with the college. Endowed scholarships are generated through the investment of permanently-held principals so that only the income from the principal is used for scholarship awards. This enables the scholarship to exist in perpetuity. Annually funded scholarships are those for which all funds are dispersed as scholarships rather than as long-term investments.

Most institutional scholarships are awarded on the basis of financial need and scholastic achievement. A student must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for all scholarships awarded by HCC. To apply, students must complete the online scholarship application which is available on our Scholarships page. All students are encouraged to apply. Scholarship applications have varied due dates.  Students may continue to apply for scholarships as they become available. Scholarships are subject to change without notice.

Scholarships may be obtained from outside sources- you may view these opportunities here.

Payment Plan

Haywood Community College also offers a payment plan for tuition and fees.  Although this is not a form of financial aid, it is an alternative to those students who are not eligible for financial aid.  The payment plan is through Nelnet and more information may be found here.


The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides a program of financial assistance for the education and training of veterans, reservists, and their dependents who meet the federal criteria. The State Approving Agency approves the curriculum programs for VA benefits.

Haywood Community College is approved for the following VA Educational Programs:

  1.  Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Chapter 33)
  2. Montgomery G.I. Bill® (Chapter 30)
  3. Chapter 1606 for Reservists
  4. Chapter 1607 (REAP)
  5. VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
  6. Chapter 35 - Dependents of qualified veterans

Please see our Veterans Services page for details.

Other Agencies and Resources

In addition to applying for financial aid through HCC, it is suggested that students make themselves aware of programs through the Veterans Administration, Vocational Rehabilitation, N.C. Commission for the Blind, Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the N.C. Employment Security Commission. Referral information is available through the Financial Aid Office.

For information on local scholarships and loans it is suggested that students contact their high school guidance counselors.

Contact Us

Office Hours: Monday – Thursday: 8:00am-5:00pm,
Friday: 8:00am-4:00pm

Phone: 828-627-4756