Free Tuition for New and Returning Students
Haywood Community College will offer free tuition for curriculum students for the 2021-2022 school year. Through a series of funding sources, including federal, state, and local funds, the College is in a position to remove as many financial barriers for new and returning students as possible.
“By expanding free tuition, we want to eliminate any financial roadblock keeping someone from registering,” explains HCC President Dr. Shelley White. “This is a unique opportunity that may not last beyond this year – if the cost of college has been holding you back, now is a great time to start your new future.”
Interested students need to follow the steps below:
- Complete the college’s admission processes as directed on https://www.haywood.edu/getting-started/college-credit.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Applications can be found at studentaid.gov
- Complete the HCC scholarship application by visiting haywood.academicworks.com.
- Meet with your assigned HCC Success Coach prior to enrolling in courses. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours at HCC.
According to White, “We understand that finances may not be the only concern about coming to college. HCC has an incredible network of support services such as tutoring, counseling & wellness, success coaches, and much more.”
Award amounts vary based on specific needs. Additional assistance may be available to cover expenses such as technology, transportation, and/or childcare. Separate funds exist to help support workforce continuing education students based on availability and eligibility. Additional questions concerning eligibility can be directed to email@example.com.
Funding sources include North Carolina Longleaf Commitment Grant (high school class of 2021 eligible for two years of support), Federal Pell grants, state & local grants and scholarships, HCC Foundation Tuition Free Guarantee (high school class of 2021 eligible for two years of support), and federal emergency relief funds. The expansion of free tuition and fees is a last-dollar program and covers Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 only. The program is subject to continued funding availability.
Fall semester classes begin August 16. Registration is now open. For more information, visit haywood.edu or call 828-627-2821.