Skip to main content

About Transferring


After completing an Associate’s Degree at Haywood Community College, many students transfer to a four-year institution to complete a Bachelor’s Degree in their chosen field of study. Our team is here to help prepare you in advance for this transition and ensure you remain on the right path with your courses and program for a successful transfer. 


How to Transfer 

To begin the transfer process, talk to a counselor at HCC as soon at you start taking classes. Next, research different colleges or universities in which you may be interested. Be sure that the schools offer the major in which you are interested. Talk to a counselor in the Admissions/Counseling Office of the schools to which you wish to transfer. Find out their process and their requirements. No two schools will be identical. Keep a record of each school’s requirements. Schedule a visit to the colleges to see the campuses firsthand. Meet with financial aid advisor(s) to review financial aid options. Apply to two or three colleges, making sure that you meet their deadlines. You will need official transcripts from your high school and HCC. You can request them from your high school guidance counselor and from HCC’s Student Services. 

Students should start the transfer process as soon as they enter HCC. Talk to your academic advisor about your plans to transfer to a university. Your chosen degree program at HCC will determine what kind of articulation agreement may apply to your situation when you transfer.  Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degrees are covered by the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.  Other degree programs may be covered by an existing bilateral articulation agreement. 


Transfer Assistance 

HCC personnel are available to assist you with the process of transferring to a university. 

  • Individualized assistance with navigating your chosen university’s transfer process 
  • Assistance with determining status as a transfer student according to rules of senior institution 
  • Help with application deadlines and timelines 
  • Assistance with determining what items (e.g. transcripts) must be submitted for admission
  • Proofreading of college application essays (if required)
  • Assistance with completion of university application
  • Help with requesting application fee waivers (if eligible)
  • Assistance with post-admissions processes (e.g. meeting requirements of tuition deposit, registration for orientation, housing reservations, and submission of immunization records)
  • Direction to any relevant transfer student support program at your chosen university
  • Assistance with applying to specific university programs as necessary
  • Assistance with appeal of transfer credit, if necessary 

Articulation Agreements 

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) is a statewide agreement between the North Carolina Community College System and the 16 universities in the University of North Carolina System. Twenty-four private colleges and universities also endorse the CAA. For community college graduates with an Associate in Arts (AA) degree or an Associate in Science (AS) degree, the CAA ensures that up to 60 community college credits transfer to the participating colleges and universities. 

In addition to the established Articulation Agreements, HCC has partnered with the following colleges and universities on specific transfer pathway programs. 

Western Carolina University 

The Catamount Navigator Program was established December 2019. 

This program guarantees admission to WCU for graduates that meet the program requirements. WCU is part of the NC Promise tuition program which reduces the cost of in-state tuition at WCU to $500 per semester. 

Read more about WCU’s transfer process at 

Lees-McRae College 

The Guaranteed Admission Program was established November 2020. 

This program guarantees admission to Lees-McRae for graduates that meet the program requirements. Graduates may also qualify for to receive New Horizon Transfer scholarships in amounts up to 60% off annual tuition. 

Read more about Lees-MCrae’s transfer process at 

University of North Carolina – Asheville 

The Bobcat to Bulldog Promise program was established August 2021. 

This direct-entry program allows students to attend UNC Asheville upon the completion of the HCC Associate Degree program and provides students with early communication with topics related to admission, financial aid, registration, and more to make the transfer process go as smoothly as possible. 

Read more about the process to transfer to UNC Asheville at 

University of North Carolina - Wilmington

The Partner for PathWays Program was expanded to include HCC in November 2023.

HCC students need at least 24 hours of college transfer credits to qualify for the PathWays Program at UNCW. The PathWays program will further enhance the UNCW’s collaboration with community colleges by providing qualifying students with a clear and guaranteed path to admissions. Students in this program will receive tailored communication and program opportunities. In addition, they will be connected to a Transfer Student Success Coordinator who can work with them to create a transfer plan based on their interests and intended major. Transfer students will also have UNCW application fees waived and priority status for merit scholarships and deadlines.

Learn more about UNC-W at

Western Governors University

HCC graduates have access to flexible, personalized learning pathways to higher education and professional development through WGU. Additionally, students have the opportunity to apply for a special designated scholarship value dat $2,500. WGU is a competency-based university offering students the option to take as many courses as they want per term with the consent of their assigned program mentor. WGU's programs are designed to fit into busy work and home schedules. WGU offers more than 80 bachelor's and master's degree programs in healthcare, IT, business, and K-12 education.

Learn more at


Transferable Programs 

Associate in Arts 

This degree program provides a general education for students who wish to continue their studies at a four-year institution. It promotes a comprehensive view of the liberal arts with an appropriate balance of knowledge in the humanities, fine arts, mathematics, natural sciences, and social and behavioral sciences. Graduates may major in a variety of fields, may choose to begin a career in business or industry, or may undertake further specialized training. 

Associate in Science 

This degree program provides a concentration in mathematics and physical and life sciences for university curricula requiring such a background. While this program emphasizes critical analysis and the judgmental skills inherent in the disciplines of science and mathematics, the curriculum also promotes an understanding and appreciation of the arts and humanities. 

Students may view the courses approved for transfer in the HCC Catalog

Baccalaureate Degree Plans 

The public universities in the University of North Carolina System have developed a number of baccalaureate degree plans that map discipline-specific programs of study.  These plans include courses completed as part of an AA or AS degree at a community college and show how they articulate with the baccalaureate degree requirements at the individual universities.  These plans as well as a lot of additional information about transferring to a university in the UNC System can be found at the following site:


RN to BSN Programs 

Check the web sites below to find an RN-to-BSN or RN-to-MSN program that meets your needs. All of these programs are nationally accredited by the National League for Nursing and/or the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education. Most of these programs are designed to accommodate RNs who are currently working. Check their web sites to find detailed information regarding scheduling, costs, academic requirements, online or on-campus options, and more. 

For a complete list of RN to BSN programs in North Carolina, go to Click on “Plan for a Career”, "Career Focus", “Nursing Careers,” and “RN to BSN.” 

The North Carolina Board of Nursing keeps the most current roster of RN-to-BSN programs. To see if additional programs have recently become available, go to Or you can call the NC Board of Nursing at (919) 782-3211. All of these programs are nationally accredited. For proper advisement, it is important that you seek advice from the RN-BSN/ RN-MSN coordinator at the college you wish to attend. 

Also check for scholarship information. Click on “Pay” and “Scholarships and Grants.”