The medical assisting field offers the perfect career path for those looking to enter the medical field. Using your newly learned skills, you will be an essential employee at a medical practice and an integral member of the healthcare and administrative team. Graduates of CAAHEP-accredited medical assisting programs may be eligible to sit for the American Association of Medical Assistants’ Certification Examination to become Certified Medical Assistant.
The Haywood Community College Medical Assisting program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
The Medical Assisting Program prepares competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
(727) 210-2350 phone (727) 210-2354 fax
The criteria for admission to the medical assisting program include:
- A completed medical form including all required immunizations prior to enrolling in MED 140, MED-150 and MED-260;
- An annual TB skin test;
- Malpractice insurance prior to taking MED-150 and MED-260; and
- A satisfactory urine drug screen and criminal background check required prior to MED-260.
MED-260 MED Clinical Practicum is designed to be a capstone course for the medical assisting professional and must be taken in the final semester of a student's sophomore year.
Note: All MED and OST prefix courses in the Medical Assisting program required a grade of “C” or better.
Highlights of the Program
- Scheduling appointments
- Processing insurance accounts
- Computer operations
- Obtaining Medical Histories
- Assisting with examinations/treatments
- Office procedures
- Vital signs
- Laboratory procedures
- Capillary stick
- Lab testing
- Medication administration
- Ethical/legal issues related to patient care
- Associate in Applied Science – Medical Assisting
- Certificate - Medical Office Administration
- Accelerated Diploma
- Medical Assistant
- Laboratory Assistant
- Occupational Health Assistant
- Coding and Billing Specialist
- $32,747 annual, median
Our team had the pleasure of sitting down with Medical Assisting instructor Larry Davis. In this episode of Bobcat Chat we gained a deeper explanation of the Medical Assisting program and what graduates can expect to do following graduation. We also chatted for a bit about the importance of recognizing National Medical Assisting Week - the third week in October. Take a listen to this episode to get to know more about the program and Larry!
HCC offers a variety of class times to fit your busy schedule. Different class options are available based on your graduation year. You can view available classes and then meet with your advisor to get registered.
For more information contact:
Have a quick question for us? Fill out this simple form and we will get back to you!